FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water (/showthread.php?tid=82555)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - yablabo - 07-03-2018

(07-03-2018, 07:36 PM)Dominicus Wrote: Ahh so they were doing the polka on the altar and they knocked it over. That makes much more sense.

If they broke the priest’s chalice or damaged it, he could not have confected the sacrament in it.  Perhaps this is why he cancelled the Mass.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Paul - 07-03-2018

(07-03-2018, 05:01 PM)yablabo Wrote: The chalice was reported to have been near the altar when it was damaged.  Not at the back of the church.

That's not mentioned in the article. If that's true, then the priest is even more at fault, because there's no reason anyone should ever be greeting anyone else in the sanctuary. That's not what it's for.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Sacred Heart lover - 07-03-2018

(07-03-2018, 07:46 PM)yablabo Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 07:36 PM)Dominicus Wrote: Ahh so they were doing the polka on the altar and they knocked it over. That makes much more sense.

If they broke the priest’s chalice or damaged it, he could not have confected the sacrament in it.  Perhaps this is why he cancelled the Mass.

Maybe.  Don't they usually have more than one chalice?

(07-03-2018, 10:01 PM)Paul Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 05:01 PM)yablabo Wrote: The chalice was reported to have been near the altar when it was damaged.  Not at the back of the church.

That's not mentioned in the article. If that's true, then the priest is even more at fault, because there's no reason anyone should ever be greeting anyone else in the sanctuary. That's not what it's for.

I agree that the priest may be at fault.  However, knowing what I do about people taking liberties when the priest is away, I can be sympathetic.

Here's another article where it's clearly stated that the chalice was near the altar:

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/archdiocese-of-washington-apologizes-after-maryland-family-kicked-out-of-funeral

Here's a screenshot:

[Image: 36570916_985064111655296_482588719150897...e=5BA62D29]
I doubt the priest would have approved of or gave permission for people being in the sanctuary near the altar for greeting...and in fact his reaction shows that he did not approve of what the people were up to.

(07-03-2018, 10:54 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 07:46 PM)yablabo Wrote:

Maybe.  Don't they usually have more than one chalice?

Not every parish has multiples of things.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - jovan66102 - 07-03-2018

(07-03-2018, 10:55 PM)yablabo Wrote: I agree that the priest may be at fault.  However, knowing what I do about people taking liberties when the priest is away, I can be sympathetic.

I doubt the priest would have approved of or gave permission for people being in the sanctuary near the altar for greeting...and in fact his reaction shows that he did not approve of what the people were up to.

How was he 'away' and unable to stop the hugging near the Altar if he then immediately ordered them out of the Church? It sounds to me as if he was woefully derelict in his duty and exploded when he realised what he had done.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Paul - 07-04-2018

(07-03-2018, 10:55 PM)yablabo Wrote: I doubt the priest would have approved of or gave permission for people being in the sanctuary near the altar for greeting...and in fact his reaction shows that he did not approve of what the people were up to.

Maybe not. Of course, that's what altar rails are for. We design the Mass and our churches to be man-centred, with little, if any, sense of the sacred, and we act surprised when people act like they do elsewhere.

And, assuming the family are Catholic, I wonder how much faith they have in the Real Presence. I can't imagine how a Catholic who knows what actually happens at Mass could be anywhere near the altar or have such little regard for the vessels that contain our Lord's Body and Blood.

The article says the casket was taken to another funeral home where 'another pastor' performed the funeral. Could be sloppy reporting. Could be that the family aren't Catholic and nobody told them how to behave in a Catholic church. The comments of the daughter certainly aren't Christian.

Plenty of fault to go around for this one. We should pray both for the priest and for the soul of the deceased.

Orémus. Quǽsumus, Dómine, pro tua pietáte miserére ánimæ fámulæ tuæ Agnétis: et a contágiis mortalitátis exútam, in ætérnæ salvatiónis partem restítue. Per Dóminum nostrum Jesum Christum Fílium tuum, qui tecum vivit et regnat in unitáte Spíritus Sancti, Deus, per ómnia sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.

Réquiem ætérnam dona ei, Dómine, et lux perpétua lúceat ei. Requiéscat in pace. Amen.

Orémus. Omnípotens sempitérne Deus, qui facis mirabília magna solus: præténde super fámulos tuos, et super congregatiónes illis commíssas spíritum grátiæ salutáris; et, ut in veritáte tibi compláceant, perpétuum eis rorem tuæ benedictiónis infúnde. Per Dóminum nostrum Jesum Christum Fílium tuum, qui tecum vivit et regnat in unitáte Spíritus Sancti, Deus, per ómnia sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Poche - 07-04-2018

A Maryland priest has been placed on administrative leave after he booted mourners from a church where they were to hold a funeral.

The Archdiocese of Washington announced Tuesday that the Rev. Michael Briese is on leave pending the outcome of an investigation.

On June 27, before a funeral for Agnes Hicks could begin at St. Mary Catholic Church in Charlotte Hall, WTTG-TV reports a guest knocked over a chalice, damaging it and angering the priest. Hicks' daughter, Shanice Chisley, said Briese ordered everyone out and disrespected her deceased mother, saying "'get this thing out of my church! Everyone get the hell out of my church!'"

The archdiocese says Briese apologized to the family. In a letter published in the local newspaper, Briese said anger "was the most inappropriate response."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/03/priest-who-booted-funeral-from-church-placed-on-leave.html

I have heard stories about people being denied a Catholic funeral in the past. What is frustrating is that it was done in a way that was dramatic and heartrending.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - yablabo - 07-04-2018

(07-03-2018, 11:51 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 10:55 PM)yablabo Wrote: I agree that the priest may be at fault.  However, knowing what I do about people taking liberties when the priest is away, I can be sympathetic.

How was he 'away' and unable to stop the hugging near the Altar if he then immediately ordered them out of the Church? It sounds to me as if he was woefully derelict in his duty and exploded when he realised what he had done.

You're mischaracterising what is reported to have happened.

[Image: 36550972_985134678314906_440910815213020...e=5BDD0176]

There was no immediate order out after the chalice was damaged.  Hyperbole aside, I imagine that this description of events is somewhat accurate.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Paul - 07-04-2018

If that's the only chalice the parish has, and it's damaged - especially if it's too damaged to stand up - then there couldn't be a Mass, since there could be no consecration of the wine. "We'll take care of it after the funeral" wouldn't do any good.

Sorry, but I'm far more sympathetic to the priest here, who cares about sacred things, than to the family, who don't seem to know how to behave in a Catholic church. To be fair, though, most Catholics don't, either. He should have handled it better, especially with a grieving family, but the time for hugging and greeting is at the funeral home, or at a reception afterwards. Not at Mass. The two great commandments are love of God and love of neighbour, but these days, too many ignore the first and focus only on a worldly intepretation of the second. That's how we end up with things like communion for adulterers.

And what's next? Is the Archdiocese of Washington going to suspend Our Lord for what He did to the moneychangers in the Temple? (Hopefully this parish has another priest, so the parishioners can continue to receive the sacraments while Fr Briese is suspended).