FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water (/showthread.php?tid=82555)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - yablabo - 07-04-2018

(07-04-2018, 12:48 AM)Paul Wrote: And what's next? Is the Archdiocese of Washington going to suspend Our Lord for what He did to the moneychangers in the Temple? (Hopefully this parish has another priest, so the parishioners can continue to receive the sacraments while Fr Briese is suspended).

Good point.  Our Lord did not do wrong when he was consumed with zeal for his father's house.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Sacred Heart lover - 07-04-2018

(07-04-2018, 12:56 AM)yablabo Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 12:48 AM)Paul Wrote: And what's next? Is the Archdiocese of Washington going to suspend Our Lord for what He did to the moneychangers in the Temple? (Hopefully this parish has another priest, so the parishioners can continue to receive the sacraments while Fr Briese is suspended).

Good point.  Our Lord did not do wrong when he was consumed with zeal for his father's house.

It's not necessarily the same.

The moneychangers probably knew they were doing wrong and if they didn't the rabbis had plenty of time to tell them so.

We don't know if these people were even Catholic.

They only mention the Mom being baptized there.

At Protestant churches, it's common to walk up next to the altar in the "sanctuary" and to greet one another with lively chatter.  It's not off limits.

They may not have any idea what the problem was other than someone accidentally knocked over a cup. :/

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - yablabo - 07-04-2018

(07-04-2018, 01:03 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 12:56 AM)yablabo Wrote:

It's not necessarily the same.

The moneychangers probably knew they were doing wrong and if they didn't the rabbis had plenty of time to tell them so.

We don't know if these people were even Catholic.

At Protestant churches, it's common to walk up next to the altar in the "sanctuary" and to greet one another with lively chatter.  It's not off limits.

They may not have any idea what the problem was other than someone accidentally knocked over a cup. :/

But he that knew not, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes.

They knew they had damaged or broken the chalice if they had some plan of making it right after the funeral.  They may not have understood the implications of their actions or the sacred nature of the vessels used at Mass or the separation between the chancel and nave, but that does not automatically relieve them of guilt.  The priests actions as presented in the cellphone video online and generally reported were not evil actions.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Paul - 07-04-2018

(07-04-2018, 01:03 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: We don't know if these people were even Catholic.

That's possible, and sounds like what was going on here. (Although you should have said "altar", since Protestant churches have nothing of the sort.)

But if they don't understand the significance of the chalice - and don't forget, the vendors in the temple sold animals for sacrifice - then they shouldn't be upset when the priest yells at them, or they should try to find out why this "cup" is so important, instead of going to the media and calling Fr. Briese a devil. It was still sacrilege, even if those involved didn't intend it or, subjectively, aren't guilty of sin. But you'd think a Catholic diocese would support proper behaviour in church, or at least mention it, instead of placing all the blame on a priest that lost his temper. Maybe Fr. Briese sinned through a lack of charity. He's human; priests sin, too, but at least it was for defending proper decorum in church. Maybe he should have told everyone to sit down before things got out of hand. Or if you're going to have 200-300 people, mostly non-Catholics, for a funeral, can you not get a couple of Catholic ushers to keep people seated, or at least away from the credence table and out of the sanctuary? There had to at least be a few Catholics there, if for no other purpose than being EMHCs.

And it's the Archdiocese that approves the design of these churches. There's no way this would have happened at any traditional parish. Sometimes there's a reason certain customs fall out of use, and I wonder how many chalices were knocked off tables centuries ago before the Church decided to stop the presentation of the gifts by the people. If Fr. Briese is at fault for failing to maintain proper order in his church, the bishops are even more at fault for letting things get to where they are. I've never heard a priest tell people to be quiet in church, and at most NOs I've been to, as soon as Mass is over, almost everyone starts clogging up the aisles and talking as they leave.

The whole thing reminds me yet again of these police shootings, where everyone rushes to judgment without any sort of investigation and concludes the cop's guilty and the deceased is completely innocent. Once the facts come out, it's usually the exact opposite.

Paul,

Yes.  That's why I mentioned earlier that it was a good opportunity for catechesis, but I think the priest's temper got the best of him, unfortunately.  He could have shown that he was frustrated and upset without resorting to language.

Satan loves to get in there and make the worst of a bad situation all around.

Plus hindsight is 20/20. :(

God bless all the people involved and help them to have empathy, compassion and forgiveness for each other.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Paul - 07-04-2018

I also wonder why the police were called. Did he call them immediately, or did people refuse to leave after Mass was cancelled? Is this another Starbucks incident?

(07-04-2018, 01:42 AM)Paul Wrote: I also wonder why the police were called. Did he call them immediately, or did people refuse to leave after Mass was cancelled? Is this another Starbucks incident?

Good question.

I can't always prove it, but I do believe that some of these "incidents" which rile people up with hate and division are possibly staged fake news, in part or in full.

The Smith-Mundt Act made it legal and Operation Gladio set the precedent years ago.

Rules for Radicals spelled out the gameplan.

Divide, divide, divide so the populace can't join together and figure out what the powers that shouldn't be are up to.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - jovan66102 - 07-04-2018

(07-04-2018, 12:32 AM)yablabo Wrote: You're mischaracterising what is reported to have happened.

With all due respect, I'm not 'mischaracterising' anything. I had not read the reports and I was replying only to what you posted in reply #14.

RE: Fr. Michael Briese in hot water - Poche - 07-04-2018

(07-04-2018, 12:48 AM)Paul Wrote: If that's the only chalice the parish has, and it's damaged - especially if it's too damaged to stand up - then there couldn't be a Mass, since there could be no consecration of the wine. "We'll take care of it after the funeral" wouldn't do any good.

Sorry, but I'm far more sympathetic to the priest here, who cares about sacred things, than to the family, who don't seem to know how to behave in a Catholic church. To be fair, though, most Catholics don't, either. He should have handled it better, especially with a grieving family, but the time for hugging and greeting is at the funeral home, or at a reception afterwards. Not at Mass. The two great commandments are love of God and love of neighbour, but these days, too many ignore the first and focus only on a worldly intepretation of the second. That's how we end up with things like communion for adulterers.

And what's next? Is the Archdiocese of Washington going to suspend Our Lord for what He did to the moneychangers in the Temple? (Hopefully this parish has another priest, so the parishioners can continue to receive the sacraments while Fr Briese is suspended).

Many times it's not just what you say but how you say it.