FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Discussing Fish Eaters - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Discussing Fish Eaters (/showthread.php?tid=82579)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Discussing Fish Eaters - Roger Buck - 07-06-2018

Something I would like to discuss more on Fish Eaters is the very nature of the site/forum itself.

As I've indicated in recent posts since coming back more in the last days is that FE is a site of significant wakefulness to what is really happening in the Church and the world.

Although I lack time, I find myself truly wanting to see the place more energised and empowered, as I know Vox does.

I also find myself wanting to understand as much as possible an ultimately unanswerable question: WHAT IS THIS PLACE?

And what is doing out there in the world?

Most of what is doing is hidden. I believe there's something like two million visits a month here - which is impressive to say the least. But most of that activity is lurking, invisible ...

Then we have new people annoucing themselves, sometimes saying they've been lurking for years and how this place helped them. I also know men have become priests owing to this place.

As I feel the darkness around, especially in Ireland right now, I find myself more interested not only in what can be done, but also what this place is ALREADY DOING.

Thus I would be grateful to hear any reflections on the above.

Would also like to hear from individuals what FE means to you personally ...

RE: Discussing Fish Eaters - CaptCrunch73 - 07-06-2018

Interesting topic.

Here are a couple of thoughts after 30 seconds reflection...

While I attend a diocesan Mass other than that basically a home aloner. I have been going to Mass at the same parish for 3 years now and haven't met one person, partially my fault, by the way. Actually, that is only partially true I did meet one member of the parish here, briefly, on FE. Most of the people at my church appear to be young families, older couples and a few older widows, not really much for me to associate with anyway. FE is my circle, so to speak. So, FE is basically my trad community.

Another reason is the Church is trying to remove traditional Catholicism and stomp out it's memory. FE is where I discovered the traditional Catholic world and must be preserved and taught for others. The amount of information both in the site and the forum is incredible and needs to be available.

Finally, I am a 50ish annulled Catholic in trad land, I just keep my head down, plow forward through life and try to do my best. There really aren't places for people like me out there. Places like FE, Magnificat Media, One Peter Five are the places that keep me informed and grounded in trad land.

RE: Discussing Fish Eaters - Some Guy - 07-06-2018

I'm not profound a thinker enough, too young, and far too new to the site to give a meaningful answer to this question. But I suppose I feel similarly to CaptCrunch73. This place a monument to the Traditions of the Church which must be maintained and passed along to the next generation. And the forums offer very insightful discussions. And since I am engaged to a soon-to-be convert who was less won over by Tradition and more so by me, and the fact that we attend a reverent NO parish.. The forum acts as a place where I can talk to more trad-minded people. It's very important that our kind don't feel abandoned and alone. We're growing. Tradition minded clergy are growing. And if FE can galvanize people's faith and knowledge of the Faith, is there any greater purpose?

RE: Discussing Fish Eaters - Roger Buck - 07-07-2018

(07-06-2018, 07:06 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: Another reason is the Church is trying to remove traditional Catholicism and stomp out it's memory. FE is where I discovered the traditional Catholic world and must be preserved and taught for others. The amount of information both in the site and the forum is incredible and needs to be available.

Indeed! The point I put in bold is critical inasmuch as it seems so much of this work IS down to the grassroots, so to speak, with the attitude taken by the bishops especially. But the vast amount of traffic here alone is a testament to what they are trying to suppress.

Thank you CC73 and Some Guy please don't let your first line that I put in bold bother you.

(07-06-2018, 08:52 AM)Some Guy Wrote: I'm not profound a thinker enough, too young, and far too new to the site to give a meaningful answer to this question. But I suppose I feel similarly to CaptCrunch73. This place a monument to the Traditions of the Church which must be maintained and passed along to the next generation. And the forums offer very insightful discussions. And since I am engaged to a soon-to-be convert who was less won over by Tradition and more so by me, and the fact that we attend a reverent NO parish.. The forum acts as a place where I can talk to more trad-minded people. It's very important that our kind don't feel abandoned and alone. We're growing. Tradition minded clergy are growing. And if FE can galvanize people's faith and knowledge of the Faith, is there any greater purpose?

I hope other folk won't feel their answers aren't profound enough. I am grateful for these replies. This subject not only really interests me, I suspect talking about it helps Vox and I tend to think it may be more important, even MUCH more important, than most of us realise.

So I encourage more of you. What do others think?

RE: Discussing Fish Eaters - Sacred Heart lover - 07-07-2018

I used to hang out at Catholic Answers until I realized that they only liked answers and banned important questions. :/

I'm so grateful to find others who are willing to sacrifice whatever it takes in the pursuit of the truth and seek to protect it and pass it on come what may.

It's so important that we stick together and keep each other informed, especially since persecutions are surely to come our way.

I'm grateful we can stay connected with this technology and through the hard work of Vox in creating this place so we can support and encourage one another!

RE: Discussing Fish Eaters - CaptCrunch73 - 07-08-2018

(07-07-2018, 02:46 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: I used to hang out at Catholic Answers until I realized that they only liked answers and banned important questions. :/

That is such an apropos statement!! I have my honorary been banned from CA patches but more to your point, every time I listened to Tim Staples speak I felt exhausted, he keeps going and going and going over again and it just didn't help me spiritually. That's me I am sure he helps some people and that is great. these days I just view CA as a vehicle for the staff to sell their books and speaking engagements.

Back to FE, the more Pope Francis and his cohorts tamp down traditional Catholicism and orthodoxy FE is turning into the equivalent of the World War II French Resistance.

RE: Discussing Fish Eaters - Sacred Heart lover - 07-08-2018

Quote:FE is turning into the equivalent of the World War II French Resistance.

Vive la Resistance!

Vive la Vendee!

RE: Discussing Fish Eaters - Sacred Heart lover - 07-08-2018

(07-08-2018, 09:53 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: That is such an apropos statement!! I have my honorary been banned from CA patches but more to your point, every time I listened to Tim Staples speak I felt exhausted, he keeps going and going and going over again and it just didn't help me spiritually. That's me I am sure he helps some people and that is great. these days I just view CA as a vehicle for the staff to sell their books and speaking engagements.

Back to FE, the more Pope Francis and his cohorts tamp down traditional Catholicism and orthodoxy FE is turning into the equivalent of the World War II French Resistance.

I have to say they are a good resource for apologetics, which is their niche, but they only focus on the post-VII Church.  Since they are trying to convert people (or maybe for other reasons) they don't want to look at the present troubles, and those who do are seen as troublemakers.

RE: Discussing Fish Eaters - Roger Buck - 07-11-2018

Quick note to say re:

(07-08-2018, 09:53 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: FE is turning into the equivalent of the World War II French Resistance.

I like this very much! : - )

And I want to say more, but I'm going away for a few days and can't easily say much more.

So this is more of a "bump" to keep this topic alive, in the hopes that more of you will weigh in ...

RE: Discussing Fish Eaters - GangGreen - 07-11-2018

It's a great place for discussion, I've learned a ton in this forum, especially when I see posts by the likes of MM, and continue to learn new things quite often. 

Like others, I don't really have much of a devout Catholic circle of friends. So it's nice to have someplace to discuss these kinds of things. Another thing is that people on here, for the most part, seem like real regular people who are just trying to get through their daily lives as good practicing Catholics. There are good days and bad days and we're not perfect, but we keep trying to improve ourselves and increase our love for God. When someone falls, people here will council and help the person pick themselves up rather than attacking the person and putting themselves as some sort of paragon of virtue and perfection... an attitude that you tend to see in many Catholic forums. It's why I tend to like it here better than elsewhere.