FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Do you think it's wrong if... - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Do you think it's wrong if... (/showthread.php?tid=82648)

Do you think it's wrong if... - BrianW99 - 07-14-2018

someone becomes Catholic simply because they want to go to Heaven?

RE: Do you think it's wrong if... - Margaret-Mary - 07-14-2018

(07-14-2018, 09:36 PM)BrianW99 Wrote: someone becomes Catholic simply because they want to go to Heaven?

No. 

Becoming Catholic is just the beginning of the journey. Once they are confirmed and continue to receive the Holy Eucharist, more light will be given to them. In time, with God's Grace, they will have more reasons for being Catholic.

RE: Do you think it's wrong if... - jovan66102 - 07-14-2018

I agree with Margaret-Mary. Isn't that, ultimately, the reason people convert and stay in the Church, even in these trying times? If I didn't want to go to heaven I'd be gone in a heartbeat given what's going on in the Church.

RE: Do you think it's wrong if... - Sacred Heart lover - 07-14-2018

That's what it's there for. :)

RE: Do you think it's wrong if... - Some Guy - 07-14-2018

In my more sentimental moments, attempting to imagine what worshiping God in heaven will be like waters my eyes up a bit.

I sorta have a hunch that your question is actually, is it wrong to want to be Catholic simply to avoid hell? And it is my understanding that while this is an adequate reason, it is not a perfect reason. Our love for God should ultimately be central. But going along with the above posts, God sanctifies us over time. This hypothetical person, if they grow in Faith and Religion will eventually love God more than they fear hell.

RE: Do you think it's wrong if... - Poche - 07-15-2018

That is why I am a Catholic, because I want to go to Heaven

RE: Do you think it's wrong if... - austenbosten - 07-15-2018

(07-14-2018, 09:36 PM)BrianW99 Wrote: someone becomes Catholic simply because they want to go to Heaven?

Becoming Catholic out of a simplistic desire to go to Heaven is the simplest, most authentic, and logical reason to become one.

RE: Do you think it's wrong if... - angeltime - 07-15-2018

(07-14-2018, 09:39 PM)Margaret-Mary Wrote:

No. 

Becoming Catholic is just the beginning of the journey. Once they are confirmed and continue to receive the Holy Eucharist, more light will be given to them. In time, with God's Grace, they will have more reasons for being Catholic.
Peace.....I think it's a very good reason and start for their journey!  They are also showing conviction that the Catholic path is thee path.  God bless, angeltime :heart:

RE: Do you think it's wrong if... - ServusDei - 07-15-2018

Why else would one become Catholic?

RE: Do you think it's wrong if... - Poche - 07-16-2018

Many years ago I was around a large number of Muslims. Many of them asked me, "When will you become a Muslim?" I answered that I would do that when I was convinced that I would not go to Hell for doing so. 
:) :) :)