FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. (/showthread.php?tid=85057)

Pages: 1 2

TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - JacafamalaRedux - 08-18-2019

The thing that bothers me is when people glare over at a noisey or crying baby. It's a baby! Why can't people refrain for making the parents feel like crap and just continue to focus on the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? Why is that so hard? 

I mean, yeah if the baby persists, then take them out, but people get out of hand here, at least at my church. I think it's awful.

RE: TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - Some Guy - 08-18-2019

I've never been to a parish, TLM or NO, where noisy-babies are shamed. In my limited experience, new-comers or irregular Mass attendees are the only ones who give the roll of the eyes.

TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - SeeTheLight - 08-18-2019

People shouldn't glare. If anything they should see how beautiful and precious the baby is. One thing I do embrace from the Jesuits is trying to see God in everything.

RE: TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - JacafamalaRedux - 08-18-2019

So is mine the only chapel where this happens? The people are otherwise very nice, mean at parties et al. It's just this sort of situation that seems to bring out the worst in a few.

RE: TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - Bonaventure - 08-18-2019

Was at a TLM today. During the sermon, must’ve been a minimum of 5 babies crying. Didn’t hear half of what Father said. But I didn’t offer any scowls. C’est la vie.

RE: TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - three_emcees_and_onedeacon - 08-18-2019

What I want to do sometimes is glare back, and point from my two eyes to the sanctuary, as I would my own kids. But charity stoppeth me.

RE: TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - MagisterMusicae - 08-19-2019

A few minor disruptions by a crying or fussy baby is one thing, and certainly not a reason for glares. There are such people that if there is even the hint of a bit of fuss will react unreasonably. That should not be excused, and I assume that's what is being written about here : those crotchety folks 

It's quite different if, when a baby is really crying or disruptive and cannot be settled reasonably quickly, a mother or father is inconsiderate enough not to take the child out to the vestibule or some place where it is not a serious disruption. Such a disruption harms the common good. The individual good of the parents to attend Mass is trumped not only by their duty towards their child, but also by their duty towards the common good of the rest of Mass goers, who are meant to participate and be attentive to the Liturgy.

That parent has a duty to deal with their child. The littlest ones often are not at fault for their disruptions, and so a bit of tolerance is called for while the parents tries to calm them and if that fails while the parents take them out. When they fail to do what they are meant to and calm their child, someone needs to help the parent to deal with it.

I'd prefer not glares, but perhaps the offer of help: "Do you want me to watch you other kids while you deal with the baby?" or even an usher asking the parent to take the child out. Only when it's exceeded 60 seconds or so have I seen a priest stop Mass and turn around to tell the parents to remove the child. That's more than reasonable. The parents should have acted sooner.

RE: TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - Credidi Propter - 08-19-2019

People should be patient with cooing, mild fussiness, and a burp now and then, but when parents won’t do anything about their child screaming their head off, some subtle negative reactions from those nearby are perfectly reasonable.

RE: TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - Zedta - 08-19-2019

(08-18-2019, 10:05 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: The thing that bothers me is when people glare over at a noisey or crying baby. It's a baby! Why can't people refrain for making the parents feel like crap and just continue to focus on the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? Why is that so hard? 

I mean, yeah if the baby persists, then take them out, but people get out of hand here, at least at my church. I think it's awful.

"Suffer unto Me the little children". Jesus, it could be gleaned, knew children were a chore sometimes and I think that is what He meant by 'suffer', as in; 'put up with them'.

RE: TLM: The One thing I can't Stand. - MyLady - 08-19-2019

What the glary people tend to forget in these situations is that those same crying babies are the future of the church.

What a blessing it is for them to grow up with the ‘smells and bells’ ingrained in their memory.