FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Was this still a sin against the 6th commandment? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Was this still a sin against the 6th commandment? (/showthread.php?tid=85062)

Was this still a sin against the 6th commandment? - Birdie - 08-20-2019

I touched myself, but didn't get any pleasure out of it. Sin or no? I can't ask my priest, because he's out of town, but I'm not sure whether I should go to confession for this.

RE: Was this still a sin against the 6th commandment? - Augustinian - 08-20-2019

Yes you should. There's a difference between the temptation and the act itself. If you were tempted to do so, but did not, then you do not sin. But since you did commit the act, then you sinned, regardless of whether you didn't derive any pleasure out of it. Go to confession.

RE: Was this still a sin against the 6th commandment? - FultonFan - 08-20-2019

Hold on, just to clarify: were you bathing or something like that?
Obviously if it was for lustful purposes it was a sin.

RE: Was this still a sin against the 6th commandment? - Birdie - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 12:53 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Hold on, just to clarify: were you bathing or something like that?

No. I was basically trying to figure out my own anatomy, if that makes sense.

RE: Was this still a sin against the 6th commandment? - VoxClamantis - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 01:14 PM)Birdie Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 12:53 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Hold on, just to clarify: were you bathing or something like that?

There's no sin in touching yourself without lust or the desire for sexual pleasure (How can one clean oneself without touching oneself? How can one perform exams, like checking for growths or tumors on oneself, or use certain medicines, tampons, etc.? How can doctors do their jobs?). The human body isn't filthy. 

It's "missing the mark" -- sin -- when it goes to masturbation, engaging in lust, engaging in sexual activity outside of marriage, etc.

Catholics aren't Puritans.

RE: Was this still a sin against the 6th commandment? - Augustinian - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 01:14 PM)Birdie Wrote:

Well that would have been some helpful context lol

RE: Was this still a sin against the 6th commandment? - Birdie - 08-21-2019

Okay. I thought that giving in to any kind of curiosity about this area of the body was a sin.