FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Religious ecstasy experinces. - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Religious ecstasy experinces. (/showthread.php?tid=85094)

Pages: 1 2

Religious ecstasy experinces. - FultonFan - 08-27-2019

Two questions:
1) What are some of the most notable experiences by Catholic Saints?
2) If I may, have you experienced such an experience?

RE: Religious ecstasy experinces. - Birdie - 08-27-2019

St. Teresa of Avila experienced ecstasy many times. I think she called it the Prayer of Union. There was the famous transverberation, when the angel thrust the spear into her heart. She levitated a few times, and was so embarrassed by it that she asked God not to let it happen anymore.

I had an experience a few years ago that I wouldn't call ecstasy, but it was unlike anything I'd ever experienced before or since. It was completely overpowering, and came completely by surprise. It was this incredibly intense, overwhelming feeling of love for God, and I was so enveloped in it that I couldn't even think anything. It didn't last long at all.

RE: Religious ecstasy experinces. - Alphonse il Segundo - 08-27-2019

(08-27-2019, 11:26 AM)FultonFan Wrote: Two questions:

What is the purpose in asking?

RE: Religious ecstasy experinces. - FultonFan - 08-27-2019

(08-27-2019, 12:31 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote:

I’m not sure.
Is it inappropriate to ask?
Apologies if it is.

RE: Religious ecstasy experinces. - Credidi Propter - 08-27-2019

(08-27-2019, 01:43 PM)FultonFan Wrote:

I’m not sure.
Apologies if it is.

Not inappropriate, still someone might consider such experiences too private to discuss.

RE: Religious ecstasy experinces. - Melkite - 08-27-2019

I had one, but it was at a Charismatic healing mass.  So if that wasn't real, then I've never experienced God in anything more profound than sunsets and leaves changing colors. I did have a very moving dream of Christ once, but I don't know whether that was just a dream or something more.

RE: Religious ecstasy experinces. - Credidi Propter - 08-27-2019

(08-27-2019, 03:28 PM)Melkite Wrote: I had one, but it was at a Charismatic healing mass.  So if that wasn't real, then I've never experienced God in anything more profound than sunsets and leaves changing colors.  I did have a very moving dream of Christ once, but I don't know whether that was just a dream or something more.

Why wouldn't it be real just because it was at a charismatic healing Mass?  I think the charismatic movement is mostly just a show, but that doesn't mean God can't work through it.

RE: Religious ecstasy experinces. - jack89 - 08-27-2019

I don't think I've ever been to a charismatic healing Mass. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems like an attempt to incorporate evangelical Christianity into the Church. I'm not a Pentecostal and don't want to be. Again, I may be wrong, I'm the type of guy who gets a little uncomfortable at Novus Ordo Masses when laymen assume the Orans posture.

I think there a significant difference between having an unsought after ecstatic experience as a result of faith and prayer, and pursuing that feeling as your primary goal.

RE: Religious ecstasy experinces. - Augustinian - 08-27-2019

1. Off the top of my head we have St. Francis of Assisi when he received the stigmata from the Seraph. Also St. Margaret Mary Alacoque would frequently go into ecstasies for hours on end to the point that her sisters had to physically remove her from the chapel. Then of course St. Pio would frequently have ecstasies when offering up Holy Mass.

2. I don't believe I have had anything like an ecstasy. The closest 'experience' I've had was last fall when I was finishing a chapter of Mystical City of God and began reflecting on the message of the chapter when I was overwhelmed with this interior 'light' directly on my mind. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced. I was so shaken afterward that I was trembling and began to cry. The most mundane part of it was that I was I had a very distinct command pop into my mind telling me that I need to quit Twitter if I wanted to advance in the spiritual life. So I deleted my account almost immediately and haven't seriously gone back since then.

RE: Religious ecstasy experinces. - MagisterMusicae - 08-27-2019

(08-27-2019, 02:33 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 01:43 PM)FultonFan Wrote:

I’m not sure.
Apologies if it is.

Not inappropriate, still someone might consider such experiences too private to discuss.

There is also the danger of confusing mystical phenomena or the fantastic with holiness.

Think how excited people get when they hear about an exorcism and how impressed that a priest can cast out a devil from a possessed body, and yet they think very little about the far greater power by which he casts out sin from souls. The latter is a participation in the order of Creation, by which grace is put into a soul which is dead. The former is just telling the devil to go away with the authority of the Church. Yet it's the fantastical that so many cling to, and not the truly impressive power God has given.

The vast majority of people who are in the State of Grace will never experience any such mystical phenomena, and even most Saints did not have these. Some did, yes, but there is a danger in confusing having some particular grace or subjective feeling and thinking this is the core aspect of Catholicism.

The well-meaning in the Charismatic movement do exactly this. They confuse fantastical events and experiences, which are usually just emotional highs and mirages, if not actually diabolical, with holiness. They feel like God has touched them, so they convince themselves that they are holy. For all the mystical things St Thersa speaks of in her life, it is worth noting that she had a long period of years of total dryness and a sense of abandonment by God, despite being quite holy at the time.

For the vast majority of us, our Christian life will consist in doing our often boring daily duty of state, and plodding along trying to grow in holiness by good spiritual reading and prayers, etc. At the end of our lives we will not have had any overtly mystical experiences, but if we've done our duty and stayed in the State of Grace will become Saints.

God may give some special graces or experiences to help encourage us, especially when we are very weak in our Faith, but as St Paul says in 1 Cor 13:8, these helps are helps only and they pass away in favor of the greater virtue of Charity. The greatest of Saints may have mystical phenomena around them, but does not need them. They are but helps, and perhaps encouragements for others who may learn of them, to practice their Faith.