FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Daylight Savings Time - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Science, Nature, Technology, Wonders, & Curiosities (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Daylight Savings Time (/showthread.php?tid=85478)

Daylight Savings Time - Sacred Heart lover - 11-04-2019

They call it...Arizona!   Big Grin

RE: Daylight Savings Time - Some Guy - 11-04-2019

I like DST... It's light out on my way to work. In the evening I always think it's time for bed and it's exciting to always be surprised by how early it is.

RE: Daylight Savings Time - jovan66102 - 11-04-2019

I grew up on a farm. We milked cows. Cows want to be milked every 12 hours. They're in pain if it's not done. I HATE DST!

RE: Daylight Savings Time - MagisterMusicae - 11-05-2019

I've always wondered, why can't we just shift the whole year by 30 minutes and just abandon the original plan.

Or maybe just realign things using spring/autumn solar time, so in summer it gets light earlier and dark later, and in winter dark and light earlier and in spring and fall it's just right.

Oh, and while we're at it, get the stupid time-zone line from meandering around nowhere in West Kansas and on some actual physical border.

[Image: united_states_time_zone_map.jpg]

RE: Daylight Savings Time - Melkite - 11-05-2019

(11-05-2019, 03:11 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Oh, and while we're at it, get the stupid time-zone line from meandering around nowhere in West Kansas and on some actual physical border.

I imagine that's because of TV markets.  Those counties probably are more connected to the Denver metro area than Topeka or Kansas City.

RE: Daylight Savings Time - jovan66102 - 11-05-2019

(11-05-2019, 05:27 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 03:11 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Oh, and while we're at it, get the stupid time-zone line from meandering around nowhere in West Kansas and on some actual physical border.

I imagine that's because of TV markets.  Those counties probably are more connected to the Denver metro area than Topeka or Kansas City.

You're right, tho' I'm pretty sure it long predates TV (or radio) markets. They're all agricultural counties that, at least decades ago, probably sold most of their crops in Denver. But that doesn't explain why Cheyenne County (in the NW corner of the State) and Stanton and Morton Counties (in the SW corner) aren't included in Mountain Time, because the same is true of them.

RE: Daylight Savings Time - Melkite - 11-08-2019

(11-05-2019, 06:20 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: You're right, tho' I'm pretty sure it long predates TV (or radio) markets. They're all agricultural counties that, at least decades ago, probably sold most of their crops in Denver. But that doesn't explain why Cheyenne County (in the NW corner of the State) and Stanton and Morton Counties (in the SW corner) aren't included in Mountain Time, because the same is true of them.

Train schedules, maybe?  My mom used to tell me a story about a huckster who went to some town out west when DST was first being implemented.  No one had heard about it, and he predicted that in one week, he would make the train come an hour earlier.  Sure enough, it did, and he made a lot of money from the townspeople who thought he was a miracle worker.  He took the next train out and they never saw him again, and learned about DST when the next newspaper came out.  

Maybe those counties on the corners didn't have railroads going through them, so it made more sense for them to stay on Topeka's time?  Just a guess.  But I know I-70 runs through there, so I imagine that was probably a railroad corridor at some point.

RE: Daylight Savings Time - Optatus Cleary - 11-15-2019

(11-04-2019, 09:30 AM)Some Guy Wrote: I like DST... It's light out on my way to work. In the evening I always think it's time for bed and it's exciting to always be surprised by how early it is.

You actually like Standard Time then. I do too. Daylight Saving Time is when we pretend it’s an hour later than it is, and we have to go to work when it’s still dark.

RE: Daylight Savings Time - hillsheaven - 11-16-2019

Hi,

It was a wonderful read, I admit that honor advice is precious and we should give our time to focus on those points. However, I am really happy to read your story.

Thanks for sharing!