FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal (/showthread.php?tid=86151)

How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal - Teresa Agrorum - 02-15-2020

Every day I learn something new...

The Latin hand missal is a true thesaurus, a treasure box of spiritual riches. Do you have a resource to recommend? Please post it here. Thanks.

RE: How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal - VoxClamantis - 02-15-2020

Using and Buying a Missal

RE: How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal - Fionnchu - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 07:36 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: Using and Buying a Missal
Which at its conclusion links in turn to "Launching the Roman Missal"

RE: How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal - jovan66102 - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 09:15 PM)Fionnchu Wrote:

On the subject of the 'Red Book' you mention in your essay, Fr Zed had an interesting post today:

ASK FATHER: What are the authentic rubrics, postures for lay people at the Traditional Latin Mass. Are we doing it wrong?

RE: How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal - Teresa Agrorum - 02-16-2020

"Are we doing it wrong?"

The liturgical can of worms.  :P

RE: How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal - Fionnchu - 02-16-2020

(02-15-2020, 11:46 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 09:15 PM)Fionnchu Wrote:

On the subject of the 'Red Book' you mention in your essay, Fr Zed had an interesting post today:

ASK FATHER: What are the authentic rubrics, postures for lay people at the Traditional Latin Mass. Are we doing it wrong?
Interesting too that Fr. Z cites Sheen and Lasance among the hand missals but neither the 1962'ers Baronius nor Angelus (or St Andrew's 1945-ish) for U.S. examples. Those stand-sit-kneel charts are intriguing. Makes me wonder what our forebears might or might not have done regarding postures (and responses, as those crept in during the earlier part of the 20c many places), and how local or parochial, diocesan or national customs might have varied.

For instance, today at FSSP low Mass, I noticed that a few congregants stood during Communion, which is the SOP in our L.A. Archdiocese for Novus Ordo, while neighboring San Diego allows kneeling during that portion. L.A.'s liturgists wanted to discourage kneeling, or genuflecting. Surprised they have not taken out all the kneelers. Curious from others who have or have not seen those maybe new at TLM adapting (or rejecting) diocesan norms when attending TLM and not N.O.

RE: How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal - Zedta - 02-16-2020

I still have my well-worn copy of the 1959 ed., " St. Joseph Daily Missal" that my mother gave me on my Confirmation, by Cardinal Timothy Manning on November 21, 1963.

Oh how I long for the return to God's language! How I struggled while studying to be an Altar Boy,

The Confiteor:

"Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, beatae Mariae semper Virgini, beato Michaeli Archabgelo, beato Joanni Baptistae, sanctis Apostolis Petro et Paulo, omnibus Sanctis, et tibi, Pater: quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo, et opere (strick breast three times) mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Ideo precor beatam Mariam semper Virginem, beatum Michaelem Archangelum, beatum Joannem Baptistam, sanctos Apostolos Petrum et Paulum, omnes Sanctos, et te, Pater, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum."

Priest: "Misereatur vestri omnipotens Deus, et dimissis peccatis vestris, perducat vos as vitam aeternam." [Interesting here, the priest says; "May Almighty God have mercy on you, forgive you your sins, and bring you to everlasting life". You and your, not us.]

Ya, lots of other things changed by Vat II. But I better not get started... :(

RE: How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal - Zedta - 02-16-2020

(02-16-2020, 06:48 PM)Fionnchu Wrote: For instance, today at FSSP low Mass, I noticed that a few congregants stood during Communion, which is the SOP in our L.A. Archdiocese for Novus Ordo, while neighboring San Diego allows kneeling during that portion. L.A.'s liturgists wanted to discourage kneeling, or genuflecting. Surprised they have not taken out all the kneelers. Curious from others who have or have not seen those maybe new at TLM adapting (or rejecting) diocesan norms when attending TLM and not N.O.
Thankfully, over here in the St. Augustine Diocese, we have seen that nonkneeling practice come and make a very rapid exit. Occasionally, we will see some folks who try to not kneel, usually visitors and from out of state, but they soon revert back to what is truly proper for such a time in the Mass.

RE: How to use the 1962 TLM hand missal - Paul - 02-16-2020

(02-16-2020, 07:14 PM)Zedta Wrote: "Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, beatae Mariae semper Virgini, beato Michaeli Archabgelo, beato Joanni Baptistae, sanctis Apostolis Petro et Paulo, omnibus Sanctis, et tibi, Pater: quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo, et opere (strick breast three times) mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Ideo precor beatam Mariam semper Virginem, beatum Michaelem Archangelum, beatum Joannem Baptistam, sanctos Apostolos Petrum et Paulum, omnes Sanctos, et te, Pater, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum."

Priest: "Misereatur vestri omnipotens Deus, et dimissis peccatis vestris, perducat vos as vitam aeternam." [Interesting here, the priest says; "May Almighty God have mercy on you, forgive you your sins, and bring you to everlasting life". You and your, not us.]

Ya, lots of other things changed by Vat II. But I better not get started... :(

Which makes sense, because the priest just said his own Confiteor, to which the servers reply "Misereatur tui omnipotens Deus, et dimissis peccatis tuis, perducat te in vitam aeternam."

It's the same in the Office at Prime and Compline, although in the 1911 reform, it's explicitly added that if the Office is said by only one or two, or if all laity, the Confiteor is said only once, with the reply "Misereatur nostri..." Note that it's still "nostri" even if only one person is saying it, because it's liturgical, something that started to break down in 1960 when, outside of Choir, "Dominus vobiscum" was no longer used.

You make a good point about how the new Mass blurs the lines between clergy and laity. And many of the translations made it even worse, such as the Orate, fratres: "our sacrifice" instead of "my sacrifice and yours". (Bonus points if it's "sisters and brothers".)