FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Beer Brewing Anybody else? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Beer Brewing Anybody else? (/showthread.php?tid=86712)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Beer Brewing Anybody else? - Florus - 05-01-2020

Beer brewing is definitely something I want to get into. I've got a few jars of mead going atm.

RE: Beer Brewing Anybody else? - SeeTheLight - 05-02-2020

(05-01-2020, 12:14 AM)Florus Wrote: Beer brewing is definitely something I want to get into. I've got a few jars of mead going atm.
Got any pics? On my first pour once it's ready I'll post a pic if my finished IPA in the glass.

Beer Brewing Anybody else? - SeeTheLight - 12-28-2020

I pulled out my equipment again and have a chocolate stout fermenting. Cheers to the end of 2020!

God Bless[Image: c79a06c5abb1a7792f0e570dab0e4d69.jpg]

RE: Beer Brewing Anybody else? - Bonaventure - 12-29-2020

Winter is a good time for beer making. Especially bottom fermenting lagers.

I need to pull out some of my old gear and get working on this. Thanks for the reminder!

Beer Brewing Anybody else? - SeeTheLight - 02-10-2021

I've gotten a nice Irish Red in the fermenter. Should be a nice tasty session beer. I can imagine right now doing some Ecclesiastical Latin Study and having a nice Irish Red in hand.[Image: 7fcb227ab9a9fed353ad4a8258d98bad.jpg][Image: 6e9c05ed353a8f2e0f73ac6f25c7ad65.jpg][Image: 625698f8838997d2633ff0a9d70b7b1c.jpg][Image: 42f71af88eff6bd49e822e9101a10735.jpg]

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

RE: Beer Brewing Anybody else? - Filiolus - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 03:22 AM)SeeTheLight Wrote: I've gotten a nice Irish Red in the fermenter. Should be a nice tasty session beer. I can imagine right now doing some Ecclesiastical Latin Study and having a nice Irish Red in hand.Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I can read the Vulgate or liturgical texts with a beer no problem, but I always found classical Latin much more difficult after even one.

RE: Beer Brewing Anybody else? - SeeTheLight - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 07:06 AM)Filiolus Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 03:22 AM)SeeTheLight Wrote: I've gotten a nice Irish Red in the fermenter. Should be a nice tasty session beer. I can imagine right now doing some Ecclesiastical Latin Study and having a nice Irish Red in hand.Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I can read the Vulgate or liturgical texts with a beer no problem, but I always found classical Latin much more difficult after even one.
I've always been a sponge after a beer or two, but if I drink more than two cups of coffee, I can read something and not remember what I've just read.

I still have a lot to learn in the Latin department, but I've heard Classical can be a bit more challenging.

RE: Beer Brewing Anybody else? - Filiolus - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 04:40 PM)SeeTheLight Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 07:06 AM)Filiolus Wrote:

I've always been a sponge after a beer or two, but if I drink more than two cups of coffee, I can read something and not remember what I've just read.

I still have a lot to learn in the Latin department, but I've heard Classical can be a bit more challenging.

It's like a different language.

I actually spend more time in Cicero and Virgil than in the Vulgate nowadays. The difference is not just a matter of vocabulary, grammatical constructions, and syntax. The way that the Romans thought to express themselves was just... different. Language is just an expression of concepts/combinations of concepts, and the way the Romans made those combinations is much different from the way that speakers of modern Western languages do. The way Jerome uses Latin in the Vulgate feels more like a modern language than it feels like Cicero.

Interestingly, Jerome's letters are in a much more classical style. To me (an autodidact with no formal training in Latin, although I have some in other languages), this alone implies that popular (I don't necessarily mean colloquial, which obviously would be even less formal than the Latin found in the Vulgate) Latin at the time of Jerome was much simpler and closer to modern languages than one might think by reading St. Ambrose or Augustine's Confessions. However, it's still quite different from the colloquial Latin found in Plautus or the more formal Terence.

Beer Brewing Anybody else? - SeeTheLight - 02-16-2021

Here's a pic of my chocolate stout that I brewed a while back in this thread. The brew came out pretty tasty and a great session beer. The carbonation is just about right as well!

[Image: cad3a72c1b6751bf9984ecf7794e7311.jpg]

RE: Beer Brewing Anybody else? - Filiolus - 02-16-2021

Nice choice for a snow-bound Fat Tuesday.