FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
What Did You Grow This Year ? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: What Did You Grow This Year ? (/showthread.php?tid=87527)

What Did You Grow This Year ? - Eric F - 08-17-2020

I did 5 kinds of Tomatoes, Jalapenos, Corno Di Toro peppers, Cucumbers, and Zucchini. Cukes came out the best. Just did the Fall planting and am trying, Swiss Chard, Kale, Broccoli, and Cucumbers and Zucchini in a different area.

RE: What Did You Grow This Year ? - Elle19 - 08-18-2020

Which varieties of tomato?

RE: What Did You Grow This Year ? - Eric F - 08-18-2020

(08-18-2020, 02:28 PM)Elle19 Wrote: Which varieties of tomato?

Off hand I remember Brandywine, but I'll have to get the others tomorrow.

RE: What Did You Grow This Year ? - ritaguadalupe93 - 08-18-2020

This year I planted bok choi, shallots, garlic, chives, rosemary, basil, bell pepper, jalapeño, pie pumpkins, cucumbers, delicata squash, and three types of tomatoes: beefsteak, Roma and sun gold. I also had an arugula that kept producing fresh greens all winter and finally went to seed about a month ago. I harvested the seeds and now have a few coming up for next winter.
I am just starting to plan what to put in the cold frame. I ordered some saffron bulbs, that should be a fun project! Also, we have about 5 acres and are putting in the trellising for 3 types of wine grapes on a half an acre: Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Tempranillo. We make a barrel or two of wine every year, and are planning to contract with some local wineries to sell the other grapes we will put in later. 

I like this thread! Some positive stuff! What about the rest of you? Maybe just some herbs in the window is a great start and a joy as fall fast approaches!

RE: What Did You Grow This Year ? - Eric F - 08-19-2020

Tomatoes I've grown this year have been, Big Rainbow, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Better Boy, and Mountain Pride.

RE: What Did You Grow This Year ? - dahveed - 08-20-2020

I'm just the second set of hands when it comes to our gardens. This year, we've got a pair of raised bed gardens (I think they're roughly 7x3), two Greenstalk vertical planters, and a Mary garden. The Terminally Cute gets credit for the most part. Among the things grown therein are sweet and bell peppers, cayennes, onions, oregano, several types of basil, lettuce, runner beans, asparagus beans, brussel sprouts, a couple types of tomatoes, sweet peas, I forget what else. The Mary garden has zinnias, semi dwarf sunflowers, et cetera. Some of this is stuff we'd talked about planting for some time, some is due to lockdown. There's more, but I just finished the first cup of coffee. Now all we need are some hens, a couple goats, and we'll have a proper menagerie.

RE: What Did You Grow This Year ? - Eric F - 12-08-2020

Saturday (Dec 5) I'm in my backyard and pull up a plant where the Fall radishes were. I assumed I planted too late and nothing came up, but it was a radish as were several other plants. So this evening, I took them to my girlfriend's and she cooked them in butter and chicken bouillion, and they were excellent !  A December crop in Northern Illinois that's not only edible, but delicious.