FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Is Anyone Here A KOC ? (/showthread.php?tid=87793)

Pages: 1 2

Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - Eric F - 10-01-2020

Since I came back to the Church 23 years ago I've only been asked to join once. Nearly everything I've read about the organization sounds very positive, at least from a historical perspective. Honestly though, I wouldn't even know how to join right now.

RE: Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - jovan66102 - 10-01-2020

If there is a Council in your Parish, contact the Grand Knight or contact person, often listed in the Parish bulletin. If not, click on this link Join the Knights of Columbus Today.

However, be careful and look into the local Council. Some of them are solid, involved in great projects. Some exist simply to sell insurance, and some are just a social club. 

RE: Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - JDV1915 - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 09:08 PM)Eric F Wrote: Since I came back to the Church 23 years ago I've only been asked to join once. Nearly everything I've read about the organization sounds very positive, at least from a historical perspective. Honestly though, I wouldn't even know how to join right now.

I'm a first degree knight. At my last parish, it gave me good opportunities to perform corporal works of mercy. Since I've moved to a new parish, we're currently trying to rebuild the council. Councils vary from liberal to traditional, old to young, active to inactive.

RE: Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - SeekerofChrist - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 09:08 PM)Eric F Wrote: Since I came back to the Church 23 years ago I've only been asked to join once. Nearly everything I've read about the organization sounds very positive, at least from a historical perspective. Honestly though, I wouldn't even know how to join right now.

I am a third degree KOC.  I second everything Jovan said.  I am glad that I joined my local council.  They do some good charitable work around the parish and the community but as far as spirituality goes, they're fairly average NO Catholics.  It also provides a decent environment for me to socialize with Catholic men in my area.  I was a convert from atheism and so was in much need of making good Catholic male friends.  Look into your local council, see what it does.  Look in the bulletin for contact information and ask what kind of activities they do in the parish and community, maybe see if you can arrange to meet a few of the men involved, etc.  Get a feel for what the local council is like.

RE: Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - LionHippo - 10-02-2020

I am. It's one of those groups where it's "what you make of it." I will admit that my initiation at first left me a bit turned off, since at the supposedly "secret" ceremony, one of the guys getting inducted brought his kid with who was doing coloring books a few feet away, and the (to me) heavy-handed insurance advertisements are off-putting.

My council seems to do the basics, i.e. pancake breakfasts during the school year, blood drives, Tootsie Rolls, and the occasional larger parish event. I still belong to the Council of my "NO" Parish, because my FSSP church does not have one.

I was never able to attend any of the meetings, because they were always on the same nights that I taught Religious Education.

I volunteered at a couple of the breakfasts, but it's been a while since I did anything with them. I sometimes felt bad for not volunteering at the breakfasts, but I was the only other Knight who was teaching R.E., which was a weekly commitment of 1.5 hours of class time, plus at least another hour to prepare, whereas the breakfasts were for maybe 1-2 hour shifts once per month. But my R.E. teaching time still "counted" as service for the KofC, because they survey their members each year to see how much time they spent helping out at the parish.

Overall, it is a good way to volunteer. Our Council has helped to buy ultrasound equipment for local pregnancy centers with money it has raised. Other money goes to the parish and to the needy.

RE: Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - Zedta - 10-02-2020

(10-01-2020, 09:25 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: However, be careful and look into the local Council. Some of them are solid, involved in great projects. Some exist simply to sell insurance, and some are just a social club. 
Ya and if they are like my local council, they are peppered with Masons and sadly, it shows well who they are at their meetings. As a result, I am still not a Knight.

RE: Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - Eric F - 10-02-2020

I've been in the Holy Name Society for 11 years, and my chapter is a great bunch, but we're pretty small.

RE: Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - HeadRusch - 10-03-2020

It’s amazing to me how poorly educated Knights of Columbus members are across the US about their own organization. I’m a third degree knight, and I’ve actually read a lot about the founding of the Knights. The Knights were originally started by Fr McGivney to establish a social net for young Catholic families in the U.S. He saw many young Catholic men dying in hard labor jobs, because Catholics were third rate citizens. He established the Knights of Columbus to be able to provide a stipend or burial money for the wives and families of Catholic men who passed away.

So many people disparage the insurance, but what other insurance do you have? Homeowners insurance for fire? When’s the last time you had a fire in your home? You may never have a fire in your home, but you will die one day, and you will then most likely leave your family in destitution because people are woefully under insured.

Why not use the insurance to do what its intended to do, take care of your family when you pass? Your money also goes to the many charitable acts the Knights conduct. THey gave 150 million last year to persecuted Christians in the Middle East. Where do you think that money came from? Your dues of 30.00 a year? Or how about the 100,000 they gave to the diocese of Lake Charles after the Hurricane?

The fraternal side of the Knights was a side effect, it was not so much intended as the social net portion.

Sorry to get on my soap box, but every single person here so far has disparaged the insurance portion like its an annoyance. Their councils have failed them on the purpose of the Knights and why it was founded in the first place. Now its an old man group that may occasionally raise money for INtellectual Disabilities or do some smoked meat sales, or even the good ones donate ultrasound machines to local crisis pregnancy centers.

This post isn’t an attack on anyone, its more of an education of what the Knights purpose ACTUALLY is, not what has been represented so far in many posts.

RE: Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - SeekerofChrist - 10-03-2020

(10-03-2020, 12:03 PM)HeadRusch Wrote: Sorry to get on my soap box, but every single person here so far has disparaged the insurance portion like its an annoyance.

I agree with your post but need to add a clarification: I did not intend to disparage the insurance portion and I am, in fact, very fond of it.  I realize now that I seconded all of Jovan's post, and some of that post might have been construed as critical of the KOC's insurance program.  I didn't actually intend that.  The insurance is good enough, as far as I can tell.  Overall, as I indicated in my post, I am glad that I joined my local council and I am proud to be a member of the KOC.  Especially in my case, it allowed me to make Catholic friends, whereas before I had mostly atheist and secular friends.

RE: Is Anyone Here A KOC ? - dahveed - 10-03-2020

Hi Eric, et al. I'm a third degree knight, and Grand Knight of our local council. While I could say some things regarding some decisions on the part of supreme, the guys I serve are a good bunch, talented, generous and I'm lucky to be there. We spend a lot of time in charitable works, and that's the main reason (aside from comaraderie). Ours is a smaller council, and I've not had any experience being a member elsewhere. As others have said, look up the local GK. He might be a dweeb like myself, or he might be a good egg.