FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? (/showthread.php?tid=88060)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - FultonFan - 11-14-2020

I have Protestant Bibles in my house, and other books from when I professed to be “Calvinist”.
How sinful is it that I haven’t yet gotten rid of them?
Additionally, what’s the best way to get rid of them? The garbage?

RE: What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - jovan66102 - 11-14-2020

(11-14-2020, 09:26 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I have Protestant Bibles in my house, and other books from when I professed to be “Calvinist”.

From the Catechism of Pope St Pius X:

Quote:32 Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?

A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest.

And, given most Parish Priests today, I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

RE: What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - leogirl7 - 11-15-2020

My original thought was to donate the Bible to a Protestant book store, but then those Bibles are missing 7 books and are deliberately mistranslated in places, so it would be an act of charity to throw it out or burn it instead of giving it to someone else to read.

RE: What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - Augustinian - 11-15-2020

The only proper way to dispose of Protestant materials:

[Image: St-Dominic-Albigensians-painting-books.jpg]

RE: What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - LionHippo - 11-15-2020

(11-14-2020, 09:34 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 09:26 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I have Protestant Bibles in my house, and other books from when I professed to be “Calvinist”.

From the Catechism of Pope St Pius X:

Quote:32 Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?

A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest.

And, given most Parish Priests today, I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

That question considers a case where someone is given a Bible by a Protestant.  In the OP's case, I presume he purchased or was given them while a Protestant.

RE: What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - malidelnicar/small shareholder - 11-15-2020

I have a question: Is a 'felt banner' also Protestant material?

RE: What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - Sword of St. Michael - 11-15-2020

This is a good thread and one that has gotten me thinking.

In our household, I have a number of heretical documents, the mormon book, a compendium of protestant bibles (one of those side by side ones that have 5 different versions in one book), and a quran. These are used for debating and pointing out the fallacies in the arguments of others, most recently in showing to a couple of mormon missionaries from their own bible version (they didnt have one on hand) the error that there are three gods in the gospels.

Will be talking to my priest now about this, but wanted to through this idea out there, are all heretical documents forbidden, or are they ok to have if used to evangelize/debate?

Curious what everyone thinks on it, more interested if anyone has any Church teachings on this.

RE: What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - Bonaventure - 11-15-2020

(11-14-2020, 09:26 PM)FultonFan Wrote: ...what’s the best way to get rid of them?

This comes to mind...

RE: What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - MagisterMusicae - 11-15-2020

The point of burning or turning over the bad material is to prevent its use by others.

Another method that does the same thing would be fine as well. For instance, one could shred paper materials and then use it for fertilizer, packing materials, or nesting material for pets.

When one did not have a shredder, often the best way to prevent reuse is burning, and since people heated homes often by fires, it was an easy means. Now, it's not so easy, but the same effect can be had through different means and perhaps more beneficial means.

Someone put me on a mailing list for some false apparition publications. When I get these, I just use them in the garden or shred them for other purposes. Effect is the same, and instead of getting off their mailing list, I figure that if they have to spend money sending me free compost, they waste money they could use to entice someone else, and so I do an act of charity by disposing of this junk. Replying to them and requesting to be removed just confirms I am a real person, and so might give them incentive to sell my information or send other materials.

RE: What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials? - jovan66102 - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 10:51 AM)LionHippo Wrote: That question considers a case where someone is given a Bible by a Protestant.  In the OP's case, I presume he purchased or was given them while a Protestant.

Since it never occured to St Pius that a Catholic would actually BUY a prot Bible, I don't think it makes much difference. The point is that we should not possess heretical and mutilated translations of Holy Scripture, no matter how they were obtained.