FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
smart drug use acceptable? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: smart drug use acceptable? (/showthread.php?tid=88162)

Pages: 1 2

smart drug use acceptable? - confusedwalrus23 - 12-02-2020

I'm heading back to school in the fall of 2021. I'll be 35, and will not have been in school for exactly 10 years. I'm heavily considering using smart drugs to help study/do coursework. Is this morally acceptable?  They're legal, the ones I'd get are harmless, and they don't seem to adversely affect reasoning abilities.  On the other hand though, I'm not sure...

RE: smart drug use acceptable? - Chadster - 12-02-2020

If you think you need "smart drugs" to go back to school. Are you really committed to going back to school? When I went back to get my MBA, it was to better my family. We had one baby and another on the way. With prayer, sacrifice, and commitment I finished! And have bettered my family.

RE: smart drug use acceptable? - Pandora - 12-02-2020

As many have said here before, just because something is legal doesn’t mean you should do it.  

I hate to be negative, but if you don’t think you can perform maybe you should try a different degree.  On a positive note, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by just how dumb undergrads can be.  Don’t even get me started on dumb post-grads...

RE: smart drug use acceptable? - confusedwalrus23 - 12-02-2020

(12-02-2020, 12:02 PM)Pandora Wrote: As many have said here before, just because something is legal doesn’t mean you should do it.  

I hate to be negative, but if you don’t think you can perform maybe you should try a different degree.  On a positive note, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by just how dumb undergrads can be.  Don’t even get me started on dumb post-grads...

I have two semesters left to finish my degree(one regular, and one summer semester) in a hard major.  maybe that's true.  dunno.  I'll have to think on it.

RE: smart drug use acceptable? - FultonFan - 12-02-2020

Are you prescribed something for diagnosed ADHD or something?
If not: no, you should not be taking drugs you haven’t been prescribed.
If this is something like Ritalin, Adderrall, or Vyvanse, you should only be taking these if prescribed, and at the therapeutic dose specified.

(12-02-2020, 12:23 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Are you prescribed something for diagnosed ADHD or something?
If not: no, you should not be taking drugs you haven’t been prescribed.
If this is something like Ritalin, Adderrall, or Vyvanse, you should only be taking these if prescribed, and at the therapeutic dose specified.

I'm still undecided, but I would put a lot of research into this.  As someone mentioned legal doesn't make right, but it doesn't necessarily make it wrong either, especially when considering that I wouldn't take anything that adversely affects my health, or my reasoning abilities.

No, it is definitely wrong and sinful to take drugs that aren’t medically necessary.  Those drugs mentioned in the above post,  in particular, are designed to affect brain function, and are known to have detrimental physical and mental (side)effects.

For what it’s worth, I’d also advise against caffeine pills or drinking gallons of coffee.  It disrupts God’s plan for our bodies.  I definitely concede there is a difference in degree of severity, though.

Let’s look at secular reasoning.  There’s a proof, I believe it’s Goethe or Nietzsche, but I’m likely incorrect, that to determine if an action is good, we should consider what would happen if we all did it all the time.  Well, I think we can easily reason that if we all took these types of drugs all the time, society would not function for the better.

There’s also the element of dishonesty. What about the other students who are struggling through the degree and not taking these performance enhancing drugs?  If you can’t handle the course work, there’s no shame in admitting it and trying an alternate route.

(12-02-2020, 01:06 PM)Pandora Wrote: No, it is definitely wrong and sinful to take drugs that aren’t medically necessary.  Those drugs mentioned in the above post,  in particular, are designed to affect brain function, and are known to have detrimental physical and mental (side)effects.

For what it’s worth, I’d also advise against caffeine pills or drinking gallons of coffee.  It disrupts God’s plan for our bodies.  I definitely concede there is a difference in degree of severity, though.

Let’s look at secular reasoning.  There’s a proof, I believe it’s Goethe or Nietzsche, but I’m likely incorrect, that to determine if an action is good, we should consider what would happen if we all did it all the time.  Well, I think we can easily reason that if we all took these types of drugs all the time, society would not function for the better.

There’s also the element of dishonesty. What about the other students who are struggling through the degree and not taking these performance enhancing drugs?  If you can’t handle the course work, there’s no shame in admitting it and trying an alternate route.

for what it's worth, i'm not considering taking the drugs mentioned above.  Also, to my mind though, the question arises, "what IS a drug"?  How is caffeine for instance different from a smart drug?

On the part about goethe and nietzsche, using alcohol all the time would have detrimental affects, but i'm talking about using these drugs in moderation in a non-harmful way.

I'll admit though that POSSIBLY having an unfair advantage over other students gives me hesitance to go forward, and I'll also admit that If I DIDN"T use them, I wouldn't want others to, but again, back to my criteria, if they're harmless, they're legal, and they don't affect reasoning ability, wouldn't it then be permissible?

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I really appreciate it.

(12-02-2020, 01:13 PM)confusedwalrus23 Wrote: for what it's worth, i'm not considering taking the drugs mentioned above.  Also, to my mind though, the question arises, "what IS a drug"?  How is caffeine for instance different from a smart drug?

On the part about goethe and nietzsche, using alcohol all the time would have detrimental affects, but i'm talking about using these drugs in moderation in a non-harmful way.

I'll admit though that POSSIBLY having an unfair advantage over other students gives me hesitance to go forward, and I'll also admit that If I DIDN"T use them, I wouldn't want others to, but again, back to my criteria, if they're harmless, they're legal, and they don't affect reasoning ability, wouldn't it then be permissible?

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I really appreciate it.

I think you’ll have no trouble finding scholarship saying both caffeine and alcohol are drugs, but I don’t think the semantics are the essence of your question.  A person who decides to eat oily fish and walnuts is different from the person who decides to chug eight 5-hour energy shots every day or the person who takes Adderall to “focus” for an exam. Nootropics were designed for people with legitimate medical conditions.  The body becomes chemically dependent upon them so it can function normally.  In a person who doesn’t medically need these substances, we’d commonly call this drug addiction.

The point of that particular “German Philosopher Name TBD” proof is to weed out arguments for items or events that we prefer, but aren’t necessarily good.  That is the “everyone, all the time” condition.

For example, some people would say it’s permissible to lie occasionally.  Well, we know what would happen if we all lied all the time, therefore we shouldn’t lie at all.   Further, just because others may lie doesn’t mean lying is permissible.

The best physical things to do to ensure you perform at the highest level are to get adequate sleep, eat a nutritious diet, and pour all of your efforts into your studies.  If after that you’re still not hitting the mark, there’s no shame in your best not being good enough.  If that is a legitimate concern, I heartily encourage you to have a (tough) discussion with your academic advisor ASAP.

RE: smart drug use acceptable? - CaptCrunch73 - 12-02-2020

(12-02-2020, 11:27 AM)confusedwalrus23 Wrote: I'm heading back to school in the fall of 2021. I'll be 35, and will not have been in school for exactly 10 years. I'm heavily considering using smart drugs to help study/do coursework. Is this morally acceptable?  They're legal, the ones I'd get are harmless, and they don't seem to adversely affect reasoning abilities.  On the other hand though, I'm not sure...

Why do you think you need smart drugs?

A certain fishie here on FE, namely me, went back to school after almost 25 years to get a masters degree studying nights while still working full time. No smart drugs required. I think the best comment made is make sure to get enough rest and maintain a nutritious diet should be all that is required. Presuming you do not have any of themedical conditions that were also mentioned, of course.

What does your confessor/spiritual director say?