FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Search for the promised land: Zionism and the church - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Search for the promised land: Zionism and the church (/showthread.php?tid=88272)

Search for the promised land: Zionism and the church - Matthew7-7 - 12-19-2020

Published by The Tablet, 28 February 2018. Because posting the full article might be considered a copyright violation, I will post a few salient passages below, along with a link to the article in full:

Quote:The father of modern political Zionism, Theodore Herzl, met Pope Pius X in 1904. Herzl wanted Pius’ support for his project. Pius replied: “We cannot give approval to this movement. As the head of the Church I cannot tell you anything different. The Jewish religion was superseded by the teachings of Christ, and we cannot concede it any further validity.”

This was the standard Catholic view. But what if the Church were to deem Judaism “valid”? If it had done so in the nineteenth century, would Pius have acted differently? The Church has, in fact, done this since 1965, step by slow step. The Holocaust caused European Christians deep soul-searching. The Second Vatican Council spoke decisively to the tragic history of European anti-Semitism. It forcefully denied the Jews were collectively guilty of killing God. Nostra Aetate says: “What happened in His passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today.”

(...)

In 2015 the Commission for Religious Relations with the Jews produced a document with Romans 11:29 as its title. It acknowledged that many of the church fathers and medieval theologians had viewed Judaism as obsolete. It now declared that these teachings are obsolete. It is rare for Rome to say tradition got it wrong. It is also brave.

(...)

Can Catholics continue to say “No” to the land promise once they say “Yes” to the irrevocable covenant between God and the Jewish people? Not for long. We owe it to our deepening understanding of revelation. We owe it to the Jewish people.

Full article: https://www.thetablet.co.uk/features/2/12586/search-for-the-promised-land-zionism-and-the-church

So it would appear that Vatican II changed the Church's teachings with respect to Jewish deicide, and ultimately Zionism. Sorry if this is obvious to everybody, but I thought it was something that needed to be shared.

RE: Search for the promised land: Zionism and the church - jovan66102 - 12-19-2020

I think it is probably obvious  to at least most of us that VII TRIED to change the Church's teaching on this matter, not that it could be changed.

However, you do realise that The Tablet is the Fishwrap of Britain? IOTW, they can always be trusted to take the 'VII is a super-Council that overrides all previous Church teaching' and 'VII is the Council that MUST be obeyed' line.

I'm reminded of this:

[Image: 1.jpeg]

RE: Search for the promised land: Zionism and the church - Matthew7-7 - 12-19-2020

(12-19-2020, 08:27 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I think it is probably obvious  to at least most of us that VII TRIED to change the Church's teaching on this matter, not that it could be changed.

However, you do realise that The Tablet is the Fishwrap of Britain? IOTW, they can always be trusted to take the 'VII is a super-Council that overrides all previous Church teaching' and 'VII is the Council that MUST be obeyed' line.

I'm reminded of this:

I had never heard of The Tablet before. I just came across the article when I Googled a quote to establish its authenticity. I am still trying to establish what Vatican II was about, and what the implications are. I've come across a few interesting characters in my research thus far, including Bella Dodd, Malachi Martin, Taylor Marshall and Richard Williamson. Any others you'd recommend?

RE: Search for the promised land: Zionism and the church - jovan66102 - 12-19-2020

The Rhine Flows into the Tiber: A History of Vatican II, By Fr Ralph Wiltgen, SVD

Iota Unum: A Study of Changes in the Catholic Church in the Twentieth Century, by Romano Amerio, D.Phil.

RE: Search for the promised land: Zionism and the church - Credidi Propter - 12-20-2020

(12-19-2020, 08:59 PM)Matthew7-7 Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 08:27 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I think it is probably obvious  to at least most of us that VII TRIED to change the Church's teaching on this matter, not that it could be changed.

I'm reminded of this:

I had never heard of The Tablet before. I just came across the article when I Googled a quote to establish its authenticity. I am still trying to establish what Vatican II was about, and what the implications are. I've come across a few interesting characters in my research thus far, including Bella Dodd, Malachi Martin, Taylor Marshall and Richard Williamson. Any others you'd recommend?

I recommend reading Pascendi Dominici Gregis, an encyclical by Pope St. Pius X that condemned the heresy of modernism.  I have found that having a deeper understanding of the errors of modernism is crucial to understanding what’s going on in the Church today. There are several books that discuss this topic further, but I don’t know them off hand. I suggest starting with Pascendi Dominici Gregis, which you can find via the link I have provided below.

http://www.vatican.va/content/pius-x/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-x_enc_19070908_pascendi-dominici-gregis.html

RE: Search for the promised land: Zionism and the church - Bushum - 12-20-2020

The author started to lose me at "Second Vatican Council" then lost me completely at the reference to the heretical document "Nostra Aetate".

The Jews rejected their old covenant when they killed the messiah as Jesus said they would, Mark 12:1-12.  Jesus made a new covenant in His blood when he instituted the Eucharist, Matthew 26:28.  No amount of Vatican II heresy or "ecumenism" can change that. Many of the Jews( apostles, etc.) accepted the new covenant.  The rest rejected the new covenant just as they rejected Christ Himself, at the time and to this day.  Salvation is there if they choose to accept it.  

Quote:It is rare for Rome to say tradition got it wrong. It is also brave.

This is the same type of modernism that rejects seeking mental wellness help to someone with gender dysphoria and instead calls it stunning and brave to cut off one's genitals and take hormone therapy.  On this issue Rome is not brave, it is wrong.