FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? (/showthread.php?tid=88337)

Pages: 1 2

Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - Justin Tertius - 12-30-2020

I've been interested in taking up smoking cigars. I've never smoked before, and lots of the people I know who smoke are pretty snobby about it. 

Anyone have recommendations for new smokers?

RE: Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - Gondothlim 2 - 12-30-2020

I don't have any recommendations, I just take what people offer me lol. One of the advantages of being young and broke I guess.

On thing I do kinda want to try is snus. It's a Nordic thing (Sweden I think). It's actually a more or less safe way of consuming nicotine, or so I've been told.

Also, I'm not going to say don't start, but do think about whether or not you really want to get into this. I mean, a year ago if you told me I'd end up smoking I'd have laughed. When someone offered me a cigar I was hesitant, but I told myself I'd just stick to cigars and pipes and stay away from cigarettes. That resolution went out fairly quickly lol. I mean, even now it's more a social thing, I really don't care to smoke by myself.

RE: Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - Pandora - 12-30-2020

(12-30-2020, 08:49 PM)Gondothlim 2 Wrote: I don't have any recommendations, I just take what people offer me lol.  One of the advantages of being young and broke I guess. 

On thing I do kinda want to try is snus.  It's a Nordic thing (Sweden I think).  It's actually a more or less safe way of consuming nicotine, or so I've been told. 

Also, I'm not going to say don't start, but do think about whether or not you really want to get into this.  I mean, a year ago if you told me I'd end up smoking I'd have laughed.  When someone offered me a cigar I was hesitant, but I told myself I'd just stick to cigars and pipes and stay away from cigarettes.  That resolution went out fairly quickly lol.  I mean, even now it's more a social thing, I really don't care to smoke by myself.

From what I understand, snus is just regular ol’ dip in a little, water permeable mouth packet. Better than spitting into an empty beer can, but it’s still a gross, saliva laden foreign object you will need to retrieve from your mouth hole.  The kiddos like to double up with snus and a stoagie, which doesn’t sound like a good idea for a number of reasons...

RE: Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - CaptCrunch73 - 12-30-2020

Monte Cristo, Macanudo and Rocky Patel smoker here. It’s difficult to give recommendations because there are so many variations.

Cigar sizes are standard, my preference is the torpedo, but Coronas (ironically) are a good size to begin.

There are no standards for wraps and fills so its personal preference. Even within brands the flavors vary, for example a Monto Cristo classic (yellow) tastes different than a (white).

Romeo y Julieta is a decent brand to begin with and shouldn't break your bank.

One tip. If you smoke multiple cigars a day, something i cant do, smoke the stronger cigar(s) last, otherwise the taste of the less strong cigar will be overpowered.

RE: Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - Filiolus - 12-30-2020

I smoke a pipe from time to time, but cigars only at bachelor parties and births/baptisms. Can't really give any advice on them, but if you're interested in pipes I could give some tips.

RE: Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - Oranje_Fan - 12-31-2020

I have smoked a pipe, recreationally, since 2004. I have an Italian hand carved full bent "Leonessa" as my main go to. Getting good pipe tobacco can be problematic. In essence, it is feast or famine. I prefer a good Cavendish blend, but often because of distance to good tobacco stores, I have to make do with whatever is available at local smoke shops. The plus is that pipe tobacco is relatively inexpensive when compared to other tobacco habits.
The care of the tobacco is fairly pedestrian. I have two "humidifier balls" (I don't know what else to call them!) that I soak in water for an hour, and then place with the tobacco in my leather pouch. It seems to keep the ideal moisture level with the tobacco. Too dry and you get a very acrid and unpleasant taste. To moist and it takes about 30 matches to keep being able to draw on the bowl.
What I really enjoy about a pipe, is that it actually has a very enjoyable taste, but is not realistically an inhalable form of tobacco. You can try, but then prepare for a serious hacking attack!
A pipe does, however, require a steady maintenance. Every 3 or 4 bowls, I have to use pipe cleaners to clean out the stem, and I have to scrap out the excessive build up of tar in the bowl.
Otherwise, I really enjoy my pipe!

RE: Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - Oranje_Fan - 12-31-2020

This is a pretty close match to the pipe I mainly smoke.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=166645
And the attached is my pipe.

RE: Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - Filiolus - 12-31-2020

(12-31-2020, 01:38 AM)Oranje_Fan Wrote: I have smoked a pipe, recreationally, since 2004. I have an Italian hand carved full bent "Leonessa" as my main go to. Getting good pipe tobacco can be problematic. In essence, it is feast or famine. I prefer a good Cavendish blend, but often because of distance to good tobacco stores, I have to make do with whatever is available at local smoke shops. The plus is that pipe tobacco is relatively inexpensive when compared to other tobacco habits.
The care of the tobacco is fairly pedestrian. I have two "humidifier balls" (I don't know what else to call them!) that I soak in water for an hour, and then place with the tobacco in my leather pouch. It seems to keep the ideal moisture level with the tobacco. Too dry and you get a very acrid and unpleasant taste. To moist and it takes about 30 matches to keep being able to draw on the bowl.
What I really enjoy about a pipe, is that it actually has a very enjoyable taste, but is not realistically an inhalable form of tobacco. You can try, but then prepare for a serious hacking attack!
A pipe does, however, require a steady maintenance. Every 3 or 4 bowls, I have to use pipe cleaners to clean out the stem, and I have to scrap out the excessive build up of tar in the bowl.
Otherwise, I really enjoy my pipe!

Nice pipe!

Good tobacco is easy to order online, but the key is finding one that you like. Luckily, you can order good tobaccos in small quantities at low prices (1 oz for somewhere between $1.50-$4.00), so it's not hard to sample a few to figure out what you like.

Cavendish is a bit sweet for me. When I first smoked a pipe I liked aromatics, but they're really not my thing anymore. About the sweetest tobacco I enjoy is Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake, which is a straight Virginia with a tiny amount of caramel topping. It's one of my favorites, and new pipe smokers would probably enjoy it, too, as long as they're not expecting something too sweet.

If I'm in the mood, I also like a good English or Oriental blend, but those are an acquired taste and new pipe smokers are better off with something lighter and sweeter.

RE: Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - Augustinian - 12-31-2020

(12-30-2020, 08:15 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: I've been interested in taking up smoking cigars. I've never smoked before, and lots of the people I know who smoke are pretty snobby about it. 

Anyone have recommendations for new smokers?

I've had the occasional cigar. It's an acquired taste, which I enjoy. Unfortunately, my wife thinks smoking is literally the gravest evil one could commit, so doing so is taboo in my household. That being said, I would love to take up pipe smoking. I've always loved the smell of pipe tobacco.

RE: Any Cigar-Pipe Smokers? - Bonaventure - 12-31-2020

I began smoking a (tobacco!) pipe in college. However, it's been well over a decade since I've done any tobacco products. I had several bad allergic reactions to smoking cigars, and just gave up on smoking altogether. However, my old pipe still stares at me from time to time, sorta begging to be used again. I keep on telling myself that I should pick up some tobacco (I used to like the cherry infused kind), but I always forget.

Something to put on my 2021 "to do" list.