FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
A little fun for the fish-women! Fish-men welcome, too! - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Domestic Arts, Crafts, Child-rearing (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: A little fun for the fish-women! Fish-men welcome, too! (/showthread.php?tid=88342)

A little fun for the fish-women! Fish-men welcome, too! - yablabo - 01-01-2021

There are all sorts of things that we excel at as different people.  There are also those things that stress us out, or if they didn’t exist we would feel much better off.  This in mind, what domestic art do you excel at?  And conversely, which task do you struggle with?  If you are married, have you found that your burdens are lighter?  Do you ever let things with your husband slide in the favor of mommy duty? 

I’ll start.  I excel at cooking and preparing nutritious meals.  I am decent at bookkeeping and management of the household.  I am also decent with make-and-mend tasks and general home-making.   

What I really struggle with is washing dishes.  I find I always have at least a handful of silverware in the basin waiting to wash through the cycle of use.  I have always hated washing silverware, so I typically leave it over night to take care of in the morning.  

Since marriage, I have found that a lot of things which seemed a burden before to do daily have become no issue to do.  The silverware thing still remains, but I find that if my husband doesn’t mind my ways, it’s not a real problem.

I don’t have any children yet, so I can’t answer the last.  

Looking forward to see who else wants to play along.

RE: A little fun for the fish-women! Fish-men welcome, too! - SacraCor714 - 01-01-2021

Funny, I was just going to post something similar. I find that, since becoming married and since having our baby, I struggle even more to do housework. I like to think it is because of exhaustion from getting up and feeding a baby three times a night, but I fear my inherent laziness has something to do with it as well.

I love to cook, especially sweet things, and I grew up in an Italian household, but my husband has many food sensitivities and pretty much subsides on just meat and vegetables. Even so, I try to be creative in the kitchen and work around his allergies. Every now and then, I will make a batch of cookies, or biscuits, or cornbread, or perhaps some chocolate pudding from scratch.

As far as housework duties go, I do enjoy vacuuming and cleaning the bathrooms, but the bane of my existence is scrubbing the floors, probably because it takes so long and I have to move everything off the floor first. I also hate cleaning the shower. Wherever I go, a nagging sense of guilt follows me if I have not done these things every week! Oh, I also despise dusting. And you can certainly tell if you ever visited my house; there is a nice layer of dust on every flat surface. LOL.

I’m not sure if my husband would notice if I never changed our sheets or vacuumed, but he would definitely notice if we ran out of toilet paper or bacon!

RE: A little fun for the fish-women! Fish-men welcome, too! - LionHippo - 01-01-2021

I can't stand the sight of a dirty dish, so I make quick work of cleaning them up and putting them away.

Cutting the grass and doing yard work are enjoyable. I like seeing tangible results of my work, e.g. "the grass was long, now it's short" or "there was a massive pile of leaves there, now it's gone." I don't mind vacuuming. I wouldn't say I really enjoy laundry, but I can make quick work of folding, especially when listening to something. I'll put on some Catholic youtube channels and tear through a basket of unfolded laundry in short order.

I do cook a lot, but we tend to buy many of the same foods over and over. With a picky younger son, sometimes we stick to basics. We do not make much from scratch, but wish we would do so more.

Overall, I cannot sit still, so if I see something that needs to be done, I just do it. I don't watch many shows or play games or anything, and I reserve reading for night, so the other time is filled spending time with my boys or working on stuff that needs to get done.

Admittedly, we are often just treading water; that is, just sticking on top of the necessary things to get done like laundry, dishes, grocery shopping, basic cleaning, etc. At some point, hopefully we'll be able to spend more time actually improving the house, but I suppose that time will come.

RE: A little fun for the fish-women! Fish-men welcome, too! - CatholicMamato5 - 01-01-2021

I excel at cooking, baking, cleaning and organizing.  I am deficient in any type of sewing, knitting, and crocheting.  I have taught myself to crochet scarves by watching videos and I can make a hat on a round loom - but apart from that, I am a sad excuse for a seamstress.  It was not something ever taught or encouraged in my house growing up.  I have actually paid for my daughters to have sewing lessons and we fumble around with crocheting and knitting and handiworks.  I am crafty and I am really good at decorating cakes and photography.

However, while I am good at the above things..... it is a struggle for me to stay on top of everything.  I have 6 children living at home and we are a homeschooling family.  So I am currently working through 10th, 8th, 6th, 4th, 1st, and Pre-K with my girls.  Maybe someone else has some tips but I have found that I can have a really clean and organized house or I can do a really good job teaching and staying on top of things with the girls education.  I can't have both.  When they were young I mostly chose the former - now that they are older, I definitely choose that latter.  We try to have routines and have everyone chip in - but there never seem to be enough hours in the day.  We also have a small farm so there are some farm chores thrown in the mix as well.  My husband works outside of the home full time so farm duties are mine and the girls overall - but he does help where he can and does all the big infrastructure projects.  I am really big on our home being filled with what is good, what is true, and what is beautiful but I have also learned to lower some expectations and accept "good enough."  

Over the years I have definitely been very busy with the kids and put them first a lot of the time.  For the majority of our marriage, my husband traveled internationally frequently.  So I was often on my own with managing things.  Now he has a job that requires much less travel.  Not as much money.... but a much better quality of life.  Now that we have older children, we do try and take some time to get out together and just enjoy eachother's company.  Now that he isn't traveling, he has been waking up earlier to help me with the morning farm chores.  I really love and appreciate that he does that so I have taken on making sure he has a hot breakfast and a nice lunch to take to work.  It used to be that I would be outside doing everything and he would make his own meals.  I like that I am able to do that for him now.  And he is happy because his lunches have been a huge upgrade since I took over.  :)