FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Christmas decorations and Candlemas - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Domestic Arts, Crafts, Child-rearing (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Christmas decorations and Candlemas (/showthread.php?tid=88435)

Christmas decorations and Candlemas - Fortunabeargirl - 01-12-2021

I have always taken down my decorations the day after The Epiphany. 

Now that I am attending the Tridentine Mass, I found out that we are supposed to keep our decorations up until Candlemas!

Well, about five days before the Feast of the Epiphany, I stopped watering my tree bc I intended to take it down shortly thereafter. Now my tree looks terribly sad. I dont think its going to make it to Candlemas. :(

RE: Christmas decorations and Candlemas - Fortunabeargirl - 01-12-2021

Maybe I will put all away and just leave out the creche

RE: Christmas decorations and Candlemas - Pandora - 01-12-2021

You could always take the tree down and leave everything else up.

As an aside, I shut off my outdoor lights and music after the Sunday after epiphany, but I leave the nativity set out and on.

RE: Christmas decorations and Candlemas - ElizabethH - 01-12-2021

I took my tree, stockings/St. Nick collection and outside lights (except for the wreath on my door with a spotlight on it), down yesterday.  My wreaths, Pointsettia, greenery on my mantle (including the lights weaved through it) and my Nativity scenes stay up until Candlemas.

There's no need to keep everything up until Feb 2nd.  Some greenery/Poinsettia and lights to dispel the Winter gloom and your Creche is enough.  I've found that stripping everything down to just these few things helps to bring more focus on the Nativity scenes and seems more peaceful after the festivities of the previous weeks.

(01-12-2021, 10:27 AM)Pandora Wrote: You could always take the tree down and leave everything else up.

As an aside, I shut off my outdoor lights and music after the Sunday after epiphany, but I leave the nativity set out and on.
Yes, I think my poor tree will soon become a tasty treat for my goats lol (minus the decorations, of course.)

I stopped with the outside lights too. We would have been the talk of the town if we left them on. Not in a good way either. It would be seen as laziness instead of an expression of faith. I know Im not supposed to care what they think, but I do have to live around them. Its just some reindeer anyway. Now a nativity would be a different story. I would let that shine and not care! It is so beautiful thay you are leaving it out and lit.

(01-12-2021, 10:52 AM)ElizabethH Wrote: I took my tree, stockings/St. Nick collection and outside lights (except for the wreath on my door with a spotlight on it), down yesterday.  My wreaths, Pointsettia, greenery on my mantle (including the lights weaved through it) and my Nativity scenes stay up until Candlemas.

There's no need to keep everything up until Feb 2nd.  Some greenery/Poinsettia and lights to dispel the Winter gloom and your Creche is enough.  I've found that stripping everything down to just these few things helps to bring more focus on the Nativity scenes and seems more peaceful after the festivities of the previous weeks.
Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking this morning!

I am loving the Traditional Church and her ways. I've always loved Christmas, but as a Traditional Catholic it is like a new world.