FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Rolling Blackouts - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Secular News, Politics, & Social Issues (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Rolling Blackouts (/showthread.php?tid=88701)

Pages: 1 2

Rolling Blackouts - jovan66102 - 02-15-2021

It's just been announced that due to the extreme cold, especially in Texas, there will be rolling blackouts across the Plains from Texas north to North Dakota. I'm worried about people with electric heating.

I'm not sure if our gas furnace is electrically triggered, so we've turned the kitchen stove on. All our devices are fully charged. If you live in the area, you might want to take precautions.

RE: Rolling Blackouts - Augustinian - 02-15-2021

I'm interested to see how all of the "green energy" areas are faring due to the weather.

RE: Rolling Blackouts - austenbosten - 02-15-2021

I live in an extreme cold climate -20F today.  And here's my advice, buy warm clothes and blankets.  It's a lot cheaper and reliable than trying to keep the interior room temp a perfect 72&#176.

Also coffee and hot teas are great warming agents.

RE: Rolling Blackouts - austenbosten - 02-15-2021

(02-15-2021, 05:57 PM)Augustinian Wrote: I'm interested to see how all of the "green energy" areas are faring due to the weather.

Amazing that foresight is so lacking amongst these morons, but what do you expect from people who claim carbon is killing the planet and travel the world in a private jet and drive a car powered by coal plants and made with dirty batteries to tell everyone.

Frustrating that in olden times people this criminal would have been flayed alive and then tossed into boiling excrement...now we just act like it was a bad dream and forget about it.

RE: Rolling Blackouts - SeekerofChrist - 02-15-2021

I have an electric furnace.  In the past, when the power has gone out, I use the fireplace in the living room to keep that area of the house warm, and we all sleep in that area.  It is a nice, big room in the house and works well enough.

RE: Rolling Blackouts - jovan66102 - 02-15-2021

Quote:SeekerofChrist

I have an electric furnace.  In the past, when the power has gone out, I use the fireplace in the living room to keep that area of the house warm, and we all sleep in that area.  It is a nice, big room in the house and works well enough.

I'm not worried about sleeping. I have no heat in my room, by choice. There is a heat vent, but it hasn't been opened as long as I've lived here. I prefer a cold room for sleeping. I have plenty of blankets and I wear surplus thermals for pyjamas, so I'm comfortable. Having lived in Alberta, and having been homeless there for awhile, I know how to dress for cold weather. I stay comfortable, even sitting at my desk in my room.

The DW is another matter entirely, however. She has a severe case of seasonal affective disorder (SAD). She hates winter with a purple passion, and the extreme cold just makes it worse. The only bright spot is that her position at the Post Office is technically 'temporary'. She's been there eight years, but every year she's 'fired' for five days and then 'rehired'. She doesn't even turn in the keys to her office. The 'firing' took place on Saturday, so she's off all week, going back to work a week from today. It doesn't help much, but at least she doesn't have to go anywhere. We have plenty of food in the house. We could probably survive a couple of months with what we have. It might be boring, but healthy. If we absolutely do need something, I can get properly dressed and walk to the store.

RE: Rolling Blackouts - Augustinian - 02-16-2021

(02-15-2021, 05:57 PM)Augustinian Wrote: I'm interested to see how all of the "green energy" areas are faring due to the weather.
Ask and ye shall receive.

RE: Rolling Blackouts - Zedta - 02-16-2021

Interesting...California was forced to have areas where there were rolling brownouts at night, due to too much dependence on solar power. Now Texas, the largest, by far, of any state in the country, producer of energy from natural gas and petroleum, can't supply electricity for its people. That is despite all that talk about how the Texas grid was the best and most reliable in the whole country.

Well, we better all take a lesson and make more solar farms and more wind generated power! What could go wrong?

RE: Rolling Blackouts - SeekerofChrist - 02-16-2021

(02-16-2021, 03:58 PM)Augustinian Wrote:
Ask and ye shall receive.

Green energy is largely a sham, anyway.  It gets a lot of hype but it'll never be able to replace fossil fuels AND sustain our current level of development.  Short of something like nuclear fusion panning out as well as hoped, we're facing a long, slow technological and economic decline to lower, more sustainable levels of tech and development.  This runs counter to the most popular pseudo-religion today: the Myth of Perpetual Progress.  But that's how it is.  Fossil fuels will soon enough pass their peak levels and be unable to sustain long-term growth and development, while the shortcomings of renewable energy will become increasingly apparent.  Even nuclear fission plants will only be able to do so much.  We're not talking "Road Warrior" primitivism but our present society and level of technology might very well be unsustainable over the long term.

RE: Rolling Blackouts - SeeTheLight - 02-16-2021

(02-16-2021, 04:15 PM)Zedta Wrote: Interesting...California was forced to have areas where there were rolling brownouts at night, due to too much dependence on solar power. Now Texas, the largest, by far, of any state in the country, producer of energy from natural gas and petroleum, can't supply electricity for its people. That is despite all that talk about how the Texas grid was the best and most reliable in the whole country.

Well, we better all take a lesson and make more solar farms and more wind generated power! What could go wrong?
Yeah, I heard part of the issue in Texas was that they had wind turbines freezing up.

Of all of the places for this to happen I'm super surprised it happened in Texas.

Roughly 33% of the US power grid is still tied to fossil fuels. Natural Gas burns clean anyway and it blows me away that we are not utilizing this clean burning resource more. We have endless amounts and we have so much of it companies for the most part shy away from these types of projects due to the low prices (they still drill them but not to any sizeable scale compared to oil).

I'll never get it but then again I'm just a Geologist in energy so what do I know.