FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Career Dilemma - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: About Men (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Career Dilemma (/showthread.php?tid=88718)

Career Dilemma - clayman03 - 02-19-2021

My dream is to be a barber and to go to barber's school in Louisville across the river. My fear though is that it would be hard to earn enough money to raise a family. It can be an inconsistent career earning wise. My other option is to get an apprenticeship in carpentry in the union, ughh I know. Afterwards I would want to work for a private local company. It statistically raises a higher salary than a barber. I know it requires prayer to discern. Any advice? I've been wanting to ask my barber about it and my father was formally a trim carpenter.

RE: Career Dilemma - NSMSSS - 02-19-2021

I used to say there are two jobs that are recession-proof: Barber and funeral director. People don't stop needing haircuts (until they die, and then they need funeral directors). They're evidently not epidemic-proof.

I'm not sure what the earnings of each would be to compare. I can get not wanting to be in a union job, but when it's good honest work such as carpentry, it's a pain that does give you the good wages and job security.

I think your best starting place is to talk to those you know who can comment on the potential earnings. If you'd report back what they say, I could say more.

RE: Career Dilemma - davidcarp - 10-11-2021

Where I live, barber earns enough to be able to buy a car, an apartment and pay off the loan. My friend did exactly that after a year of working as a barber in a good barbershop. I think you can do it if you really want to. This passion always leads to good results.

RE: Career Dilemma - Margaret-Mary - 10-12-2021

(02-19-2021, 10:50 AM)clayman03 Wrote: My dream is to be a barber and to go to barber's school in Louisville across the river. My fear though is that it would be hard to earn enough money to raise a family. It can be an inconsistent career earning wise. My other option is to get an apprenticeship in carpentry in the union, ughh I know. Afterwards I would want to work for a private local company. It statistically raises a higher salary than a barber. I know it requires prayer to discern. Any advice? I've been wanting to ask my barber about it and my father was formally a trim carpenter.
 My old hairdresser (RIP) supported his family for their whole lives. He was also a working musician; hair was his day job. He didn’t rely on money from playing gigs. He also opened his own salon.

RE: Career Dilemma - Water1965 - 10-12-2021

Highly skilled barbers are in demand.
Like most things, it seems like that you need to stand out in some way.
The most successful barbershop around here is run by an older gentleman who dresses well, has a shop decorated to resemble a men's club from years ago and a decent library that you are free to dip into while you wait.
A few nice fixtures, a rug and a couple of wingback chairs go a long way.
He is appointment only and it's tough to get in without waiting a few days. He charges 7.00 more than his closest competitor and is far busier.
Good luck.

RE: Career Dilemma - AnaCarolina1 - 10-12-2021

I went to hairdressing school and was licenced in another her state.
The state I live i requires 700 more hours for a licence .

So my family and I have saved oodles of money, as I do
I do Thier hair.

Just be warned, friends and distant relatives in expect free haircuts.

Good luck!