FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Wedding Reception During Lent - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Wedding Reception During Lent (/showthread.php?tid=88853)

Pages: 1 2

Wedding Reception During Lent - jack89 - 03-08-2021

My son is getting married this Saturday. And yes, it's a Catholic wedding. I'm excited for him and his bride to be.

Are fasting and abstinence rules exempt for the reception?  I'm guessing they are.  I'm certainly going to celebrate my son's marriage with plenty of food and drink. 

Is there anything official on this?

RE: Wedding Reception During Lent - jovan66102 - 03-08-2021

Of course, the traditional regulations on fasting and abstinence no longer bind under pain of sin, but traditionally, Lent was one of the 'forbidden times' for marriage, probably because of the consequent feasting and celebration. From the Catechism of St Pius X:

Quote:Q. Name the Precepts of the Church.

A. The Precepts of the Church are: ....

5. Not to solemnise marriage at forbidden times, that is, from the first Sunday in Advent until the Epiphany, and from the first day of Lent until Low Sunday.

RE: Wedding Reception During Lent - jack89 - 03-08-2021

(03-08-2021, 08:20 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Of course, the traditional regulations on fasting and abstinence no longer bind under pain of sin, but traditionally, Lent was one of the 'forbidden times' for marriage, probably because of the consequent feasting and celebration.. From the Catechism of St Pius X:

Quote:Q. Name the Precepts of the Church.

A. The Precepts of the Church are: ....

5. Not to solemnise marriage at forbidden times, that is, from the first Sunday in Advent until the Epiphany, and from the first day of Lent until Low Sunday.

I did not know that, and I'm sure my son doesn't either.  Makes sense.  I'm not going to say anything to him about it, at least for a while.

RE: Wedding Reception During Lent - jovan66102 - 03-08-2021

Oh, and I forgot to mention that during the Middle Ages, abstinence from sexual intercourse between spouses during Lent was the rule. Getting married during Lent was probably considered too much of a temptation. 

RE: Wedding Reception During Lent - Paul - 03-09-2021

(03-08-2021, 07:10 PM)jack89 Wrote: My son is getting married this Saturday. And yes, it's a Catholic wedding. I'm excited for him and his bride to be.

Are fasting and abstinence rules exempt for the reception?  I'm guessing they are.  I'm certainly going to celebrate my son's marriage with plenty of food and drink. 

What fasting and abstinence rules? It’s a Saturday.

RE: Wedding Reception During Lent - ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 05:35 PM)Paul Wrote: What fasting and abstinence rules? It’s a Saturday.

This is the "well ayckshually" of trad Catholicism. I don't think anyone has forgotten how lax today's rules are. :)

RE: Wedding Reception During Lent - jovan66102 - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 05:35 PM)Paul Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 07:10 PM)jack89 Wrote: My son is getting married this Saturday. And yes, it's a Catholic wedding. I'm excited for him and his bride to be.

As I pointed out, the old rules no longer bind under pain of sin, but as late as 1908, the date of my copy of Fr Lasance's 'My Prayer-Book', the Wednesdays and Fridays of Lent were days of fasting and full abstinence, all other days (except Sundays) were days of fasting and partial abstinence.

RE: Wedding Reception During Lent - Evangelium - 03-09-2021

I remember reading on the back of an SSPX calendar that turtle is an acceptable food on abstinence days.  Tradition can be surprising.

RE: Wedding Reception During Lent - jovan66102 - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 06:00 PM)Evangelium Wrote: I remember reading on the back of an SSPX calendar that turtle is an acceptable food on abstinence days.  Tradition can be surprising.

Oh, that's not all! Here's an article on some odd things that are acceptable on days of abstinence' And there are lots of others, going back to mediaeval times.

Can I Eat That? A Guide to Weird Lenten Foods

From Dappled Things

RE: Wedding Reception During Lent - jack89 - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 05:35 PM)Paul Wrote:

Per the 1962 Missal, Universal Church rules call for Fasting and complete Abstinence on Fridays and Saturdays of Lent, with Fasting and partial Abstinence the rest of the week.  The U.S. rules are a little different with partial Abstinence and Fasting on Saturdays.  

I've been following the Universal Church standards, but will make as exception for my son's wedding.