FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? (/showthread.php?tid=89153)

Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - virSapiens - 04-13-2021

Does brushing your teeth break the traditional Holy Communion fast of no food, drink or water from midnight to partaking in Holy Communion?

I try to observe this traditional fasting rule now but when you brush your teeth you inevitably swallow some tooth paste and water, no matter how careful you are.

RE: Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - MagisterMusicae - 04-13-2021

No.

Unless you're eating the toothpaste for breakfast.

You break the fast when you consume something with nutritional value and which is eaten as food (per modum cibi). This means not a medicine, etc.

This is why a diabetic could have a piece of fruit to give him needed sugar 10 minutes before communion and not break his fast, but a non-diabetic would break his fast doing the same thing. One is eating the fruit as a medicine, the other as a food.

While laudable to keep the traditional fast (and we should as much as possible), only the present law binds under pain of sin. The older law is a very good thing to be followed, but is not binding under pain of sin.

RE: Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - Augustinian - 04-13-2021

If that were the case, I would be sinning every time I took my morning medication before Mass.

RE: Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - Matas - 04-13-2021

No.  And you can drink water.

RE: Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - virSapiens - 04-14-2021

(04-13-2021, 09:56 PM)Matas Wrote: No.  And you can drink water.

Thanks Matas. But the traditional fast of nothing from midnight to taking the Eucharist did prohibit water. I know the current catechism does not.

RE: Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - Matas - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 08:04 AM)virSapiens Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 09:56 PM)Matas Wrote: No.  And you can drink water.

Thanks Matas. But the traditional fast of nothing from midnight to taking the Eucharist did prohibit water. I know the current catechism does not.

Oh going way back, you couldn't drink water.  But then, they didn't brush their teeth either.

RE: Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - Paul - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 01:12 PM)Matas Wrote: Oh going way back, you couldn't drink water.  But then, they didn't brush their teeth either.

I'm pretty sure they brushed their teeth in 1955.

RE: Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - Evangelium - 04-14-2021

The Orthodox still have this rule.  No food or water after midnight if you are receiving communion.  I found it very difficult, but I was conscientious about it.  I brushed my teeth the night before.

But you are a Catholic and subject to the current laws of the Church. I would be careful of scrupulosity. I see evidence from some of your posts that you may be scrupulous. I think it would be a good idea for you to find a good spiritual director and follow his advice.

RE: Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - MagisterMusicae - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 02:14 PM)Evangelium Wrote: I would be careful of scrupulosity.  I see evidence from some of your posts that you may be scrupulous.  I think it would be a good idea for you to find a good spiritual director and follow his advice.

I wouldn't say "scrupulous" which is a disease of the conscience that sees sin where there is none, such that it ends up confusing virtue and vice. I would say "sensitive" but with a somewhat Pharisaic spirit.

This is common when one is trying to figure out all the rules and keep them, but it needs to mellow, else it will become scruples.

The more the rules and laws of the Church can be seen as common sense and directed towards our virtue (and not just arbitrary laws), the more there will be balance.

RE: Brushing Teeth Break Traditional Holy Communion Fast? - newenglandsun - 04-14-2021

(04-13-2021, 09:12 PM)virSapiens Wrote: Does brushing your teeth break the traditional Holy Communion fast of no food, drink or water from midnight to partaking in Holy Communion?

I try to observe this traditional fasting rule now but when you brush your teeth you inevitably swallow some tooth paste and water, no matter how careful you are.
Medicinal and hygienic products are exempt from the fasting rules. Brushing your teeth is a matter of daily hygiene, it does not violate fasting rules. If you take a medication, that is exempt from the fasting rules. If you are taking vitamin or nutritional supplements, these are also exempt from the fasting rules. I have yet to find a canonist who would contradict this statement here.

Also, water is exempt from fasting rules. You don't fast to kill yourself, sheesh!