FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics (/showthread.php?tid=89157)

Pages: 1 2

Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics - SeekerofChrist - 04-14-2021

I've noticed that, occasionally, I'll find someone from pre-1054 who is recognized as a saint in the Eastern Orthodox Church but who is not recognized (officially, at least) in the Latin-rite Catholic Church.  Examples like Constantine the Great and Claudia Procula come to mind.  At least some are saints in the Eastern Catholic Churches.  I've seen, for example, Eastern Catholic parishes named after Constantine.  Does their veneration in the Eastern Catholic Churches give them some kind of implicit or de facto recognition by Rome?  I'm rather curious, as I've always been fond of Constantine the Great and wouldn't mind including his icon on my personal prayer shrine and maybe seeking his intercession.

RE: Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics - Melkite - 04-14-2021

I don't know if this is always the case, but there are a lot of pre-schism saints recognized by Eastern Catholics that just aren't on the Roman calendar.  If they're in the synaxarion, and they are pre-schism, then they're for sure recognized by the Catholic Church.

RE: Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics - Augustinian - 04-14-2021

You could have a private devotion to Constantine the Great even though he isn't officially recognized in the Latin calendar. Plus, you have to remember the process for canonizations have changed in the West since the schism, so there's a lot of pre-schism Saints that are recognized without going through the same canonical process as someone like St. Margaret Mary or St. Francis de Sales. And therefore some that may not have been officially recognized liturgically such as Constantine.

I've noticed that there's post-schism saints venerated by Eastern Catholics such as St. Gregory Palamas that aren't recognized by the West.

RE: Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics - ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 11:16 AM)Augustinian Wrote: I've noticed that there's post-schism saints venerated by Eastern Catholics such as St. Gregory Palamas that aren't recognized by the West.

We ought to consider these to be questionable because their canonizations could not have been infallible.

(04-14-2021, 11:17 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 11:16 AM)Augustinian Wrote: I've noticed that there's post-schism saints venerated by Eastern Catholics such as St. Gregory Palamas that aren't recognized by the West.

We ought to consider these to be questionable because their canonizations could not have been infallible.

Yes, that's true. They couldn't be celebrated liturgically in the West, but that doesn't mean someone can't have a private devotion to them. That said, there's still a spiritual danger involved in doing so, which would have to be gauged by the devotee and their confessor/director.

RE: Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics - SeekerofChrist - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 10:01 AM)Melkite Wrote: I don't know if this is always the case, but there are a lot of pre-schism saints recognized by Eastern Catholics that just aren't on the Roman calendar.  If they're in the synaxarion, and they are pre-schism, then they're for sure recognized by the Catholic Church.

Any chance there's an English version of the synaxarion?  It'd be interesting to examine, not merely to confirm the canonization of a particular saint but perhaps in its own right.

(04-14-2021, 11:16 AM)Augustinian Wrote: You could have a private devotion to Constantine the Great even though he isn't officially recognized in the Latin calendar. Plus, you have to remember the process for canonizations have changed in the West since the schism, so there's a lot of pre-schism Saints that are recognized without going through the same canonical process as someone like St. Margaret Mary or St. Francis de Sales. And therefore some that may not have been officially recognized liturgically such as Constantine.

I've noticed that there's post-schism saints venerated by Eastern Catholics such as St. Gregory Palamas that aren't recognized by the West.

Yeah, that's quite true.  Every canonized saint had private devotion first, or else he or she wouldn't have ended up canonized.  I recently acquired a small but lovely icon of Constantine, so I'll add it to my prayer shrine and go from there.  I also noticed the veneration of post-schism saints, too, and will steer clear of anyone supposedly canonized after 1054 by the EO.

(04-14-2021, 11:26 AM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 10:01 AM)Melkite Wrote: I don't know if this is always the case, but there are a lot of pre-schism saints recognized by Eastern Catholics that just aren't on the Roman calendar.  If they're in the synaxarion, and they are pre-schism, then they're for sure recognized by the Catholic Church.

Any chance there's an English version of the synaxarion?  It'd be interesting to examine, not merely to confirm the canonization of a particular saint but perhaps in its own right.

(04-14-2021, 11:16 AM)Augustinian Wrote: You could have a private devotion to Constantine the Great even though he isn't officially recognized in the Latin calendar. Plus, you have to remember the process for canonizations have changed in the West since the schism, so there's a lot of pre-schism Saints that are recognized without going through the same canonical process as someone like St. Margaret Mary or St. Francis de Sales. And therefore some that may not have been officially recognized liturgically such as Constantine.

Yeah, that's quite true.  Every canonized saint had private devotion first, or else he or she wouldn't have ended up canonized.  I recently acquired a small but lovely icon of Constantine, so I'll add it to my prayer shrine and go from there.  I also noticed the veneration of post-schism saints, too, and will steer clear of anyone supposedly canonized after 1054 by the EO.

This may seem like a pithy, polemical way to do it, but, when you pray to a saint like Constantine, you could leave out invoking them with the title of "Saint" since they have not been officially recognized as such by the West. For example, given my rejection of all things V2, I have a devotion to Padre Pio, but never invoke him as "Saint" Pio simply because he hasn't been officially canonized by a legitimate Pontiff.

RE: Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics - Melkite - 04-14-2021

SeekerofChrist Wrote:
Melkite Wrote:I don't know if this is always the case, but there are a lot of pre-schism saints recognized by Eastern Catholics that just aren't on the Roman calendar. If they're in the synaxarion, and they are pre-schism, then they're for sure recognized by the Catholic Church.

Any chance there's an English version of the synaxarion? It'd be interesting to examine, not merely to confirm the canonization of a particular saint but perhaps in its own right.

Oh, yeah, you can find them on Amazon. Each church will have it's own synaxarion that may vary a little bit. You might also find it called the menaion, with a volume for each month. The biggest differences you'll find are between Greek/Mediterranean churches and Russian/Slavic churches. If you look at the eparchial websites for the Melkites, Ruthenians or Ukrainians, you might be able to find a printed synaxarion for that particular church, or a basic one online that lists the feasts that that church celebrates on a given day. For "higher-level" feasts, they will probably be the same date in all the Byzantine churches. For lesser feasts, or saints that are of particular importance to a certain church, you might only find them in that church's synaxarion.

RE: Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics - J Michael - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 11:26 AM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:

Well, there's this: http://www.easternchristiansupply.biz/-#books/c14/c22111/c28898/a16521 but it is Orthodox.

RE: Eastern Saints and Eastern Catholics - jovan66102 - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 11:26 AM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: Any chance there's an English version of the synaxarion?  It'd be interesting to examine, not merely to confirm the canonization of a particular saint but perhaps in its own right.

Not a full synaxarion, but here is a pdf of the Calendar of Saints observed by the UGCC.

http://archeparchy.ca/wcm-docs/docs/Church_Calendar.pdf