FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Next Pope? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Next Pope? (/showthread.php?tid=89162)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Next Pope? - Matas - 04-14-2021

I expect another liberal Pope.

RE: Next Pope? - Sword of St. Michael - 04-14-2021

So here is a wrench to through out there... think it will need to be a cardinal?

There is the mindset that we should 'go back to the old church', to break any tradition that we have set in the church, and way back when we had non cardinals picked as popes, even a deacon. With a large number (majority) of cardinals being older, and liberal, I could see them choosing a younger priest even to b pope, someone that is very liberal, and also could potentially be controlled by the cardinals and pope francis if he was to step down.

With that in mind, Fr. Martin could potentially be picked.

RE: Next Pope? - SeekerofChrist - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 01:12 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: So here is a wrench to through out there... think it will need to be a cardinal?

There is the mindset that we should 'go back to the old church', to break any tradition that we have set in the church, and way back when we had non cardinals picked as popes, even a deacon. With a large number (majority) of cardinals being older, and liberal, I could see them choosing a younger priest even to b pope, someone that is very liberal, and also could potentially be controlled by the cardinals and pope francis if he was to step down.

In theory, they could elect any Catholic male who is at least the age of reason.  More plausibly, it might be a remote possibility but I suppose they could elect a non-cardinal, probably a bishop or maybe a priest.  I don't really anticipate it but surprises do happen.  I'm not sure if it'd be Fr. Martin, though.  It is my understanding that an American pope is very unlikely, for apparently political reasons.

RE: Next Pope? - jovan66102 - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 12:47 PM)Evangelium Wrote: The next pope will be Cardinal Luis Tagle.

Unfortunately, I think there's a high likelihood that you're right.

RE: Next Pope? - Melkite - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 04:51 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 12:47 PM)Evangelium Wrote: The next pope will be Cardinal Luis Tagle.

LOL, what, is the papacy the World Cup now?  The next one must be from a different continent, and they all have to be cycled through before another one can be from that continent again?

RE: Next Pope? - Augustinian - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 04:53 PM)Melkite Wrote:

LOL, what, is the papacy the World Cup now?  The next one must be from a different continent, and they all have to be cycled through before another one can be from that continent again?

The rainbow coalition in action.

[Image: EclmvGAXoAI24YE.png]

(04-14-2021, 01:18 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 01:12 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: So here is a wrench to through out there... think it will need to be a cardinal?

In theory, they could elect any Catholic male who is at least the age of reason.  More plausibly, it might be a remote possibility but I suppose they could elect a non-cardinal, probably a bishop or maybe a priest.  I don't really anticipate it but surprises do happen.  I'm not sure if it'd be Fr. Martin, though.  It is my understanding that an American pope is very unlikely, for apparently political reasons.

Going on this idea of a young priest to the papacy, say 60 (Fr Martin's age) or even younger, say 50. That could mean a pope who is in office for a significant amount of time, 20-30 years. They would have the opportunity to fill pretty much every spot in the vatican, resetting the bureaucracy fully as almost everyone will die or retire during that length of time. Would cement one way of thinking for a while.

Based on how he is theologically, as well as his growing connections, I think he has a strong chance

RE: Next Pope? - jovan66102 - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 04:53 PM)Melkite Wrote:

I don't think that has anything to do with it. Tagle is basically Francis 2.0 which is why I think he stands a good chance.

RE: Next Pope? - SeekerofChrist - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 04:55 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 01:18 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:

Going on this idea of a young priest to the papacy, say 60 (Fr Martin's age) or even younger, say 50. That could mean a pope who is in office for a significant amount of time, 20-30 years. They would have the opportunity to fill pretty much every spot in the vatican, resetting the bureaucracy fully as almost everyone will die or retire during that length of time. Would cement one way of thinking for a while.

Unfortunately, I think we're already at that point.  Only a handful of cardinals raised objections to things like Amoris Laetitia.  Some of them are now dead, and the rest mostly seem out of any position of power.  The deck has now been stacked, so to speak, in favor of the liberals.  Short of the wrath of God sending most of the current Vatican occupants to their eternal destinations, what we're looking at is a long waiting game.  We'll have to wait for the liberals to die out.  How long that will take, I do not know.  But they've nested and they're not going anywhere for awhile.