FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Naming Our Guardian Angels - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Naming Our Guardian Angels (/showthread.php?tid=89176)

Pages: 1 2

Naming Our Guardian Angels - SacraCor714 - 04-15-2021

I've heard mixed opinions on naming our guardian angels. Fr. Ripperger says that it is wrong to do so because naming something gives us ownership over it, and we certainly do not own our guardian angels. 

However, the folks I've talked to who are in favor of naming your guardian angel say that we don't assign them a name so much as we ask them to reveal to us what they would like us to call them. Furthermore, they claim that since God Himself revealed His Name to us, and since knowing and using His Name certainly does not give us any power over Him, that is fine to ask our personal angel for their name if they want to reveal it to us. 

I know that for me, it helps to be able to call my angel a name so I can more easily call on them for help when I need it, or converse with them during the day, or thank them for some special favor or protection. It seems a bit new-agey to say "angel, thank you for such and such..." etc. I'd much rather call my guardian angel by a name rather than just a generic "angel."

When I was a teenager, I went on a charismatic Catholic retreat (I know, I know--but it was fruitful, and the people there were good, holy folks even if they were a little odd). During the retreat, they encouraged us to ask our guardian angels to reveal their names to us so we could have a more intimate relationship with them. I prayed about it and the name "Michael" kept coming into my head. Now, I know there is already a very powerful angel named Michael, and I know that that particular angel is definitely NOT my personal guardian angel, so it made me wonder if I was just pulling names out of my arse or if there could be multiple angels named Michael. For better or for worse, the name stuck, and I did not have any other name revealed to me in prayer, so I started calling my angel Michael out of habit, and still do. Is this wrong? Should I stop?

RE: Naming Our Guardian Angels - Augustinian - 04-15-2021

My question would be how you know the revealed name isn't some sort of imagined name or demonic moniker?

RE: Naming Our Guardian Angels - Marmot - 04-15-2021

My priest says I shouldn't do that.

I don't see why it ought to be assumed that the guardian angel wishes to reveal his name.

RE: Naming Our Guardian Angels - Evangelium - 04-15-2021

I address mine as "holy guardian angel."  I see no need to ask him his name and I wouldn't trust any supposition that he could or would reveal his name to me.

(04-15-2021, 02:53 PM)Evangelium Wrote: I address mine as "holy guardian angel."
I'm sure he approves of that.

When I was new to Catholicism I always had a looong written list of questions for my priest whenever I saw him. Many of them were silly. One question I asked was whether guardian angels can be recycled, that is, whether my guardian angel may have been the guardian angel of someone who died before I was born. I think he said he didn't know.

RE: Naming Our Guardian Angels - SacraCor714 - 04-15-2021

(04-15-2021, 02:02 PM)Augustinian Wrote: My question would be how you know the revealed name isn't some sort of imagined name or demonic moniker?

I don't, obviously, but with a little common sense I think I could determine that the demonic wouldn't lead me to believe that my guardian angel shares the name of one of the most terrible foes of Satan, much less lead me to want to have a more intimate relationship with my angel in the first place.

RE: Naming Our Guardian Angels - jovan66102 - 04-15-2021

I simply go with the Church. Whilst it is not forbidden, it is discouraged.

In a document written in 2001 by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments entitled “Directory on Popular Piety in the Liturgy: Principles and Guidelines,” it says, “The practice of assigning names to the holy angels should be discouraged, except in the cases of Gabriel, Raphael and Michael, whose names are contained in holy Scripture” (No. 127).

I just use 'holy Guardian Angel' as has been mentioned.

I knew a woman who would always call me Robert. Another woman always called me Christopher. Those are not my names. I explained this to them several times but they just wouldn't get it. That was annoying. I don't want my guardian angel to have to go through that.

RE: Naming Our Guardian Angels - Evangelium - 04-15-2021

SacraCor714 Wrote:For better or for worse, the name stuck, and I did not have any other name revealed to me in prayer, so I started calling my angel Michael out of habit, and still do. Is this wrong? Should I stop?

I think you should stop.  It might be getting on his nerves.

RE: Naming Our Guardian Angels - jovan66102 - 04-15-2021

(04-15-2021, 04:05 PM)Marmot Wrote: I knew a woman who would always call me Robert. Another woman always called me Christopher. Those are not my names. I explained this to them several times but they just wouldn't get it. That was annoying. I don't want my guardian angel to have to go through that.

I had a Pastor once who was terrible with names. I had a friend named Sharon (R+I+P) that he always called 'Rose' for some reason. It wasn't just her, either. The Pastor of the other Parish in town was named Frank. Father always got his name wrong, even tho' he'd known him for years.