FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Wigs - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Wigs (/showthread.php?tid=89205)

Wigs - ActusFidei313 - 04-18-2021

Hello!

Would it be sinful to wear a wig for beauty purposes or to wear one of one is losing their hair?

I'm losing my hair and am contemplating just shaving it all off and wearing a wig full time.  I don't know.  It's getting more difficult to hide it with sprays etc. :(

God bless

RE: Wigs - dahveed - 04-18-2021

I'm certainly no expert, but if you're embarrassed about hair loss, that's understandable, especially being female. Male pattern baldness is much more common. I'm not trying to string you along with this question, but has anyone ever told you that it would be sinful to do so, given the circumstances? If vanity isn't driving this action, I cannot imagine it being sinful. Just a spectator's opinion.

RE: Wigs - ActusFidei313 - 04-18-2021

(04-18-2021, 07:06 PM)dahveed Wrote: I'm certainly no expert, but if you're embarrassed about hair loss, that's understandable, especially being female. Male pattern baldness is much more common. I'm not trying to string you along with this question, but has anyone ever told you that it would be sinful to do so, given the circumstances? If vanity isn't driving this action, I cannot imagine it being sinful. Just a spectator's opinion.
Thank you for your input.  No, no one told me it's sinful.  I wouldn't be doing it for vain purposes but mostly to avoid embarrassment.  I also don't want to "lose" my husband's eye, so I guess in a way it is for vain purpose??  It seems like a fine line.  But I honesty would wear it just to look normal. Idk :(...  I have been trying to offer it up.

RE: Wigs - ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident - 04-18-2021

(04-18-2021, 07:47 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: But I honesty would wear it just to look normal.

Is it vain for a man to wear a nice suit to Church? I'd say no, because it's what is expected of him. It might be vain to wear a nice suit to do the grocery shopping and gas up the car, but in places where that attire is expected, it's not vain.

You've had hair all your life; it's normal for women to have more (and nicer) hair than men; and you're only doing it to "look normal". I don't think that's vain. Just don't obsess about it, and don't spend an inordinate amount of money on wigs.

RE: Wigs - jovan66102 - 04-18-2021

(04-18-2021, 07:47 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: I also don't want to "lose" my husband's eye, so I guess in a way it is for vain purpose??  It seems like a fine line.  But I honesty would wear it just to look normal. Idk :(...  I have been trying to offer it up.

I see nothing 'vain' about wanting to look nice for your husband. It would be vain if you were trying to impress people with your looks, etc., but that's not what you're doing.