FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Other Religions (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? (/showthread.php?tid=90039)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - Justin Tertius - 07-21-2021

I am under the impression that this is permitted, but I am also aware that many people would strongly caution against this (since their might be the threat of becoming a schismatic.)

Being more specific, could a Catholic attend Orthros or Vespers if a Catholic weren't receiving Communion at that church.

RE: Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 09:55 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: I am under the impression that this is permitted, but I am also aware that many people would strongly caution against this (since their might be the threat of becoming a schismatic.)

Being more specific, could a Catholic attend Orthros or Vespers if a Catholic weren't receiving Communion at that church.

It's complicated.

It wouldn't fulfill the Sunday obligation, even though it's a valid Mass.  And the attendee shouldn't receive Holy Communion, even though it's validly confected.

Not a good idea.

RE: Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - jovan66102 - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 10:09 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:   And the attendee shouldn't receive Holy Communion, even though it's validly confected.
Not really a problem, given Orthodox practice, as was pointed out recently, that you have to be known to the Priest to receive Communion. And since no Orthodox jurisdiction will allow a non-Orthodox to receive, there wouldn't be an opportunity to do so.

RE: Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - PilgrimMichelangelo - 07-22-2021

On the reverse of that, during my week long pilgrimage at Our Lady of Clear Creek Abbey in Oklahoma, I worshipped with the Benedictines for nearly every office and even attended daily low Mass and Conventual Mass.

I was blessed by my Orthodox spiritual father to go on the pilgrimage and attend services but my one obedience was that I was not allowed to receive Holy Communion.

Not every Orthodox is as strict regarding the 10th Apostolic Canon which says, "If one who is not in communion prays together, even at home, let him be excommunicated*".

RE: Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - newenglandsun - 07-22-2021

(07-21-2021, 10:24 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 10:09 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:   And the attendee shouldn't receive Holy Communion, even though it's validly confected.
Not really a problem, given Orthodox practice, as was pointed out recently, that you have to be known to the Priest to receive Communion. And since no Orthodox jurisdiction will allow a non-Orthodox to receive, there wouldn't be an opportunity to do so.
I'd put a strong asterisk next to that statement. The protodeacon at my parish was telling me and another parishioner about how he attended a Russian Orthodox liturgy and told the priest he was Melkite and the priest still let him commune. Definitely not typical but there are unicorn Orthodox parishes that may even still acknowledge communion with us. My priest even served a joint-liturgy once with a Romanian Orthodox priest. Since, at the time, both the Melkite bishop and the Romanian Orthodox bishop had the name of Nicholas, he commemorated the bishop by name but left the Patriarch unnamed.

It's rare, and a LOT of Orthodox would frown on it, but it does happen.

RE: Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - Happy Boy - 07-22-2021

Quote:Not every Orthodox is as strict regarding the 10th Apostolic Canon which says, "If one who is not in communion prays together, even at home, let him be excommunicated*".

I had Orthodox friend who told me that if invited to my house for meal he would need to say own grace apart from me. I told him that if he came to my house and I said grace and then he said his own, I would throw him out.

RE: Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident - 07-22-2021

(07-22-2021, 08:41 AM)Happy Boy Wrote:
Quote:Not every Orthodox is as strict regarding the 10th Apostolic Canon which says, "If one who is not in communion prays together, even at home, let him be excommunicated*".

I had Orthodox friend who told me that if invited to my house for meal he would need to say own grace apart from me.  I told him that if he came to my house and I said grace and then he said his own, I would throw him out.

I wish we were this strict about worship/prayer with unbelievers.

That feeling you get when you're at some large event and a protestant leads the group in prayer...that's your conscience.

RE: Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - J Michael - 07-22-2021

(07-21-2021, 09:55 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: I am under the impression that this is permitted, but I am also aware that many people would strongly caution against this (since their might be the threat of becoming a schismatic.)

Yes.

There is no Eucharist at  Orthros or Vespers.  You would be welcomed.

At the Divine Liturgy, you would not be able to receive Holy Communion, though you would be able to receive a blessing at the chalice.

RE: Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - Melkite - 07-22-2021

(07-22-2021, 06:13 AM)newenglandsun Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 10:24 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
I'd put a strong asterisk next to that statement. The protodeacon at my parish was telling me and another parishioner about how he attended a Russian Orthodox liturgy and told the priest he was Melkite and the priest still let him commune. Definitely not typical but there are unicorn Orthodox parishes that may even still acknowledge communion with us. My priest even served a joint-liturgy once with a Romanian Orthodox priest. Since, at the time, both the Melkite bishop and the Romanian Orthodox bishop had the name of Nicholas, he commemorated the bishop by name but left the Patriarch unnamed.

It's rare, and a LOT of Orthodox would frown on it, but it does happen.

I've heard stories like this as well. It seems to be on a priest-by-priest basis. I'm not sure if it's the same church the protodeacon was referring to, but a former parishioner said he was allowed to receive communion at the ROCOR cathedral (of all places!) in DC, because the priest there knew our former pastor and vouched for his orthodoxy.

It's a mixed blessing that so many of the Orthodox in North America are converts for Protestantism. It's great they're discovering apostolic Christianity and getting access to the sacraments. But the biases they bring in with them are skewing the understanding of Orthodox practice in some ways, and I think this is one example. The Orthodox tend to be generally anti-Catholic on their own, so it's not always a huge skew, but North American Orthodoxy seems to be much more anti-Catholic than cradle Orthodoxy does.

RE: Can A Catholic Worship At Orthodox Liturgies? - Justin Tertius - 07-22-2021

So, just generally, if I were just interested in attending orthros and vespers (I have Mass nearby, so I have no desire to attend Divine Liturgy and I wouldn't take communion) that would be find and not an act of schism? I mean, I was just interested in attending the service, and I have heard of people doing this, so I am wondering what is the deal.