Is there Crypto-Orthodoxy among some Eastern Catholics?
I love Eastern Catholicism, but I keep hearing stories of the Zoghby Initiative (an eastern bishop's philosophy that basically wasn't Catholic), some Eastern Catholics not believing the Filioque, and on Rorate Caeli, on the piece about the Russian bishop's comments about Orthodox and Catholics working together against secularism and Islam, I read a comment written in response to a comment that Eastern Catholics were completely Catholic:

Patrick,

I wouldn't be so sure. From the Melkite Challenge 2005 (part of the religious formation programme for Melkite children in the United States of America):

8. How many Ecumenical Councils were held?
    a. Seven Ecumenical Councils

9. Was the Vatican council an ecumenical council? Why?/Why not?
    a. The Vatican council was not an ecumenical council – no participation from the Orthodox

?????
One is Catholic, or not. I know there are good, trad Eastern Catholics amongst the fishies. What do you think of this?
Based on my wide breadth and experience stemming from the Internet, yes, I find there to be what you are calling Crypto-Orthodoxy, and oftentimes a sentiment of superiority/condescension towards the Latin Rite, seemingly with the proposition that Latin Rome has to "prove itself" against "credible claims" of Orthodoxy.
Some would say "among some," I would say "among many."
I've definitely seen this too, and I find it worrying.  I have gotten the impression from many Eastern Catholics that they just really want to be Orthodox, but they aren't for...some reason.
I concur. What annoys me most is how many Eastern Catholics flaunt married priests as if it were something desirable as opposed to something merely tolerated.d
(04-01-2011, 12:25 PM)cgraye Wrote: I've definitely seen this too, and I find it worrying.  I have gotten the impression from many Eastern Catholics that they just really want to be Orthodox, but they aren't for...some reason.

This.
(04-01-2011, 12:41 PM)St. Drogo Wrote: I concur. What annoys me most is how many Eastern Catholics flaunt married priests as if it were something desirable as opposed to something merely tolerated.d

There is nothing wrong with married priests.  Many Latins denigrate it and try to force Byzantines in America to have celibate priests. Against the particular and wholly legitimate tradition of Eastern Catholic Church  admitting married men to their clergy's ranks. 

In the US the intransigent Bishop Ireland caused a schism by Fr Alexis Toth and several hundred thousand fellow Eastern Catholics to defect to the Eastern Schismatic churches. All because he and a select few of his compatriots were jealous of the married clerics and said also that having married Eastern Catholic clerics would "confuse" the lay-faithful.  Bah!

I am sorry, but I cannot stand whenever some folks rail against certain aspects of the Eastern rites' as if it is okay. I certainly don't support or applaud this crypto-Eastern Schismatic tendencies amongst many Eastern Catholics nowadays, either. (I've noticed it on the online forums; not so much in real life, though.)  It is sad times we live in: Times of Mass-Apostasy. 

I've got that suspicion as well:  at another forum, an Eastern Catholic said that the Doctors of the Church aren't universal, so the Latin Doctors are strictly "Western" Doctors.

On the contrary:  "Certain ecclesiastical writers have received this title on account of the great advantage the whole Church has derived from their doctrine" (Catholic Encyclopedia).
Lord have mercy.
:pray:
I am Eastern Catholic from Romania. The crypto-orthodoxy is a real phenomenon, not limited to laical members of the Church, but affecting in some degree the clergy, too. This is the counterpart of the crypto-lutheranism in the western part of the Church.