Please help: Two mortal sin related questions.
(08-01-2018, 10:03 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: I know a person who was struggling with a serious affliction of sexual temptation that would keep them up all night long in battle.

A priest anointed them with oil and they were cured.

I'm not sure if that is considered an abuse of the sacrament or if that's allowed under the use of blessed oil.   :huh:

Generally such anointings are simply using blessed oil, not one of the three Holy Oils.

The Sacrament of Extreme Unction is a specific Sacrament which uses Oil of the Sick. That oil is not used for any other reason except this Sacrament. The other two Holy Oils, the Oil of Catechumens (used for Baptism and the anointing of a newly Ordained priest's hands in the Older Rite) and Chrism (used for Baptism, Confirmation, Ordination of a priest in the Newer rite and Consecration of a bishop in both rites, crowning of a King, as well as a several other consecrations, like that of an altar, church, paten and chalice).

Blessed Olive Oil for other uses, including anointing outside of these things that require one of the Three Holy Oils, is in the ritual. It is likely this kind of oil was used.
(08-01-2018, 11:43 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 10:03 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: I know a person who was struggling with a serious affliction of sexual temptation that would keep them up all night long in battle.

I'm not sure if that is considered an abuse of the sacrament or if that's allowed under the use of blessed oil.   :huh:

Generally such anointings are simply using blessed oil, not one of the three Holy Oils.

The Sacrament of Extreme Unction is a specific Sacrament which uses Oil of the Sick. That oil is not used for any other reason except this Sacrament. The other two Holy Oils, the Oil of Catechumens (used for Baptism and the anointing of a newly Ordained priest's hands in the Older Rite) and Chrism (used for Baptism, Confirmation, Ordination of a priest in the Newer rite and Consecration of a bishop in both rites, crowning of a King, as well as a several other consecrations, like that of an altar, church, paten and chalice).

Blessed Olive Oil for other uses, including anointing outside of these things that require one of the Three Holy Oils, is in the ritual. It is likely this kind of oil was used.

I see.

So I have often seen these "healing masses" where everyone goes up to get anointed.

I know we discussed this, but just to be clear, is that an abuse of the Sacrament using the Oil of the Sick or is it an anointing with blessed oil.

Perhaps the anointing with blessed oil should be used more often for those afflicted with addictions and other ailments of body and soul.
It's perfectly fine to give blessings with blessed oil as long as it is made clear that its not the sacrament, isn't used like a magical cure, doesn't use one of the three holy oils, and doesn't invade the liturgy.

In some places it's customary to take home oil that's been left at a particular shrine and use it similar to holy water.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
(08-02-2018, 01:17 AM)Dominicus Wrote: It's perfectly fine to give blessings with blessed oil as long as it is made clear that its not the sacrament, isn't used like a magical cure, doesn't use one of the three holy oils, and doesn't invade the liturgy.

In some places it's customary to take home oil that's been left at a particular shrine and use it similar to holy water.

Okay, yes.  I have blessed olive oil I have my caregivers use in cooking and Padre Pio Holy Oil I have used to bless my doorways and my son or dogs when they are ill.

I'm sure if a priest uses Holy oil for anointings it is even more efficacious.

I wish this practice were more widespread.

We need all the grace we can get these days!
(08-02-2018, 12:44 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 11:43 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:

I see.

So I have often seen these "healing masses" where everyone goes up to get anointed.

I know we discussed this, but just to be clear, is that an abuse of the Sacrament using the Oil of the Sick or is it an anointing with blessed oil.

Perhaps the anointing with blessed oil should be used more often for those afflicted with addictions and other ailments of body and soul.

I have never heard of a healing mass suggest that their anointing was the sacrament.  It may happen at some, but I think it is probably rare.  The ones I have used only used blessed oil.

For our unction services in the Melkite church, there isn't a special oil used for it.  It is merely olive oil mixed with some wine, and afterwards, parishioners may take some home to use as blessed oil.  I don't think we have special oils other than chrism, but now I'm unsure.