No Food, Only Beer: Fasting Like a 17th-Century Monk
Now, this is a fast I could embrace! And the reason the Pope approved it is hilarious.

From Aleteia

[Image: web3-monks-beer-glass-flickr.jpg]

What sounds like a frat house challenge actually increased their focus and clarity.

Lent is set to kick off this week, launching a season of penance and spiritual reflection during which time Catholics the world over immerse themselves in a 40-day period of abstinence and fasting. In our time, some of the most popular luxuries to give up include social media, sweets, electronic devices, and caffeine. Some of the more die-hard types may decide to keep the Friday abstinence from meat throughout the entire season. The monks of the 17th century, however, had a much more hardcore approach: a liquid diet.

In the 1600s, the Paulaner Monks of Southern Italy relocated to the Cloister Neudeck ob der Au, in Bavaria. The strict order required the brothers to refrain from all solid foods for the entire 40 days of Lent, which naturally brought about questions of how the order would maintain proper nutrition throughout the season. Turning to what they knew, they concluded that beer, or “liquid bread” as they called it, could sustain them.

The Paulaners brewed a special, unusually strong beer that would provide high levels carbohydrates and nutrients to fight off malnutrition. This early doppelbock-style beer eventually became the original product of Paulaner brewery, founded in 1634, under the name “Salvator,” named after “Sankt Vater,” which CNA reports can be roughly translated as “Holy Father beer.”
Vine Pair explains that the monks, proud of their work, became worried that the brew was too delicious to count as a Lenten sacrifice. Hoping for a conclusive ruling, the Paulaner monks sought guidance from Rome and shipped a barrel of their best to the pope, who could determine if the beer was appropriate fasting fare.

In a bit of a twist, during the long trip from Bavaria to Rome, the beer spoiled. When the pope tasted it, he deemed it so foul that consuming it was considered a “sacrifice unto itself.” He gave the monks the go-ahead and they enjoyed their liquid Lent with clear consciences.

Today, Paulaner currently serves 70 countries and is one of the chief breweries featured at Munich’s Octoberfest. The “Salvator” is distributed and enjoyed all over the world, but many do not know of its penitential origins.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • dahveed, redneckpride4ever, SeeTheLight
Finally, a fast for me!
Nice, a year round fast.
I've heard this story before, always a good laugh. As much as I love beer, the lack of protein would be awful for the body. I'm also a light weight, the amount of beer needed to maintain a decent amount of nutrition would leave me trashed all day.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
Ha!

10% abv

about 1g protein

300 calories per 330ml serving

General web info one site said 1.95g of protein.

I'll have to try it!

Also I mean try the beer not use it to fast lol.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
As a celiac, I can't fast this way, though I suppose if it were wine that'd be a different story. Thanks, Jovan. That was also quite entertaining.  :D
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
(03-10-2019, 07:25 AM)SeeTheLight Wrote: Ha!

10% abv

about 1g protein

300 calories per 330ml serving

General web info one site said 1.95g of protein.

I'll have to try it!

Also I mean try the beer not use it to fast lol.

So that's 11 oz glasses. I think they say that the minimum a normal sized person should eat on a daily basis is something like 1500 calories (may be lower for women) to remain healthy. So something like 5 beers per day.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
Lol not sure how you could survive on this while doing manual labour.
Went to a very big liquor store ( Daveco Liquors)out here in Colorado looking for this brew. It was rated 100 out of a possible 100 and completely sold out must be some good fasting brew!!! I'll definitely have to try it.
God Bless you All!
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
I have a friend who is a historical reenactor.  She decided to spend the entirety of a two week long event only consuming foods as her character would have done in the Middle Ages.  During the period, "small beer" was consumed instead of water (it was safer).  So . . .  this rather petite, 60+ year old woman started her morning with beer, drank a refreshing brew after her morning walk, ate lunch and drank more beer, beer, beer. . .   You get the idea.  Notice something though: I said beer - not small beer.  She was completely plastered for two weeks straight!  The reason: she didn't know the difference between modern beer's alcohol content and "small beer" which was substantially less alcoholic!
Adoption, Home School, and Catholic Family Life:  StolenPears.com