My first attempt at Bibliomancy
(09-04-2019, 07:58 AM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote: Yesterday, I tried Bibliomancy for the first time to strengthen me as I was enduring strong temptations. I ended up falling into those temptations, but the passage I opened to stuck with me, Isaiah 49:6-8:

Quote:"It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up to the tribes of Jacob and to restore the preserved of Israel; I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth."

Thus says the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel and his Holy One, to one deeply despised, abhorred by the nations, the servant of rulers: "Kings shall see and arise; princes, and they shall prostrate themselves; because of the Lord, who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you."

What this passage demonstrates to me is Christ's universal salvation, despite His being despised by the powers of this world, that I can attain by humbling myself before him. Like the kings and princes mentioned, I have been prideful in my persistent sinfulness. I have not relied upon Christ fully; I have not truly humbled myself before Him. 

I think that conquering sin is all about my efforts when it's actually entirely about relying upon Christ. Or else I fall into despair because of my habitual sins, which only further alienates me from Christ and leads me to neglect the sources of these sins as well as all the other "minor" sins I commit because of my overly intense focus on my habitual sins.

I need to humble myself and truly follow the light to all nations.

Edit: I just tried again now and opened to Isaiah 16:6: "We have heard of the pride of Mo'ab, how proud he was; of his arrogance, his pride, and his insolence - his boasts are false."

I don't who this Mo'ab is but I'm guessing his pride relates to my own. Undoubtedly, I need to work on humbling myself.

I was scrolling chapters and then had to do a chore, when I got back this verse was what i first laid eyes on. 

Isaiah, 13 : 5  They come from a distant country, from the far horizons, Yahweh and the instruments of his fury to lay the whole country waste. 

bibliacatolica.com 

Sometimes these things speak to you, but I'd say it's nothing you can force. I sympathize with you.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(09-04-2019, 07:03 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 06:41 PM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote: So, shoot me.

I'm not sure why you're taking this personally. Nothing I wrote was about you, but about the practice not being worthy of recommendation by your interlocutor.

I was more troubled that it was mentioned on FE, and there for you to find, not your curiosity at it.

I don't have any issues with you, nor was my post try to express any such issues.

Your desire to read Scripture in a more standard manner, and the Catholic sense that this practice is weird is good. I would recommend that you get some good Catholic commentaries for said reading, though. They are very helpful.

You might also pick up any of the standard traditional spiritual readings, like St Francis de Sales, Bl Columba Marmion, or many others who can also provide some good thoughts for contemplation and helps when we are tempted.

You're right, I shouldn't be so touchy. I was surprised and disappointed to find overwhelming disapproval of the practice that I found on this website when I was hoping for a more encouraging response and a good discussion. It was a failure to connect and a disappointment.
Omnia et in omnibus Christus
(09-04-2019, 04:02 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: I would in no way recommend this practice, and in fact would suggest people avoid it.

I too wouldn't overly recommend it, but at the same time I don't think it's really really bad, I've been reading scripture before and one day found something very pointed to my life at that time; coincidence? maybe... maybe not.

OP

I too would recommend just reading the Bible normally, then when something comes up, you have more you can recall of scripture that you can better fit to your life and circumstances, which is much better then just trying to fit a random found verse into it IMO.

I also think I tried it once, and it took me 3 or 4 goes to reach something even remotely relevant so I scraped it lol.

(09-04-2019, 04:02 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: The normal means of sanctification are sufficient, let's not go all weird.

So when you close your bible, make sure to spin it around 3 times, then 7 times the other direction (both biblical numbers) then sprinkle some holy water on it, then say "Jesus take the wheel" like the song from Carrie Underwood and then quickly open it on a random page lol. :D

God Bless
I feel sorry for the poor bloke that tries this and gets something like Numbers 1:6-15

Numbers 1:6-15 Wrote:6 from Simeon, Shelu′mi-el the son of Zurishad′dai; 7 from Judah, Nahshon the son of Ammin′adab; 8 from Is′sachar, Nethan′el the son of Zu′ar; 9 from Zeb′ulun, Eli′ab the son of Helon; 10 from the sons of Joseph, from E′phraim, Elish′ama the son of Ammi′hud, and from Manas′seh, Gama′liel the son of Pedah′zur; 11 from Benjamin, Abi′dan the son of Gideo′ni; 12 from Dan, Ahi-e′zer the son of Ammishad′dai; 13 from Asher, Pa′giel the son of Ochran; 14 from Gad, Eli′asaph the son of Deu′el; 15 from Naph′tali, Ahi′ra the son of Enan.”

Imagine trying to apply that to your life, I can't even pronounce most of those names let alone apply it to anything personally..... I am open to suggestions lol

God Bless
(09-05-2019, 07:41 AM)josh987654321 Wrote: I feel sorry for the poor bloke that tries this and gets something like Numbers 1:6-15

Numbers 1:6-15 Wrote:6 from Simeon, Shelu′mi-el the son of Zurishad′dai; 7 from Judah, Nahshon the son of Ammin′adab; 8 from Is′sachar, Nethan′el the son of Zu′ar; 9 from Zeb′ulun, Eli′ab the son of Helon; 10 from the sons of Joseph, from E′phraim, Elish′ama the son of Ammi′hud, and from Manas′seh, Gama′liel the son of Pedah′zur; 11 from Benjamin, Abi′dan the son of Gideo′ni; 12 from Dan, Ahi-e′zer the son of Ammishad′dai; 13 from Asher, Pa′giel the son of Ochran; 14 from Gad, Eli′asaph the son of Deu′el; 15 from Naph′tali, Ahi′ra the son of Enan.”

Imagine trying to apply that to your life, I can't even pronounce most of those names let alone apply it to anything personally..... I am open to suggestions lol

God Bless

It may be only a word or name Josh-

Pa′giel means - God allots - as in Job 20:29" : Such is the fate God reserves for the wicked, the inheritance he assigns to the accursed!" 

bibliacatolica.com 

YMMV
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(09-05-2019, 07:41 AM)josh987654321 Wrote: I feel sorry for the poor bloke that tries this and gets something like Numbers 1:6-15

Numbers 1:6-15 Wrote:6 from Simeon, Shelu′mi-el the son of Zurishad′dai; 7 from Judah, Nahshon the son of Ammin′adab; 8 from Is′sachar, Nethan′el the son of Zu′ar; 9 from Zeb′ulun, Eli′ab the son of Helon; 10 from the sons of Joseph, from E′phraim, Elish′ama the son of Ammi′hud, and from Manas′seh, Gama′liel the son of Pedah′zur; 11 from Benjamin, Abi′dan the son of Gideo′ni; 12 from Dan, Ahi-e′zer the son of Ammishad′dai; 13 from Asher, Pa′giel the son of Ochran; 14 from Gad, Eli′asaph the son of Deu′el; 15 from Naph′tali, Ahi′ra the son of Enan.”

God Bless

Haha I think only St. Jerome would find that edifying  :D