narcotics
Rowsdower Wrote:I really need to get Father Jone's book. But I have a question about this particular part:

Fr. Jone Wrote:a) To use narcotics in small quantities and only occasionally, is a venial sin if done without a sufficient reason. Any proportionately good reason justifies their use, e.g., to calm the nerves, dispel insomnia, etc.
Such use becomes gravely sinful if it creates an habitual craving for "dope" which is more difficult to overcome than dipsomania and more injurious to health.

Many people with chronic pain take morphine and eventually the body actually becomes physically addicted to it, even though they only take the necessary amount for pain management. Would that fall under "habitual craving"? My guess would be no but I'd like to hear others opinions.

Principle of double effect, the purpose of taking the narcotic is to allievate pain. That's allowed. The intoxication and possible physiological dependence on the drug is secondary and unintentional and therefore not sinful.

Messages In This Thread
narcotics - by newtradcatholic - 04-09-2008, 04:57 AM
narcotics - by newtradcatholic - 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM
narcotics - by kjvail - 04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
narcotics - by newtradcatholic - 04-10-2008, 02:28 AM
narcotics - by kjvail - 04-10-2008, 06:23 AM
narcotics - by Rowsdower - 04-10-2008, 07:33 AM
narcotics - by kjvail - 04-10-2008, 09:40 AM