A question on Baptism
(08-02-2009, 08:45 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(08-02-2009, 08:37 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: Even if the child's parents are not married, it is still possible for them to raise their children in the Catholic faith.

If I were a priest, then there would be additional considerations.  If the parents are not married, do they still attend Mass?  If they are not married, living together, they still need to attend Mass even if they are in a state of sin and cannot receive Communion.  So, if the parents show by some manner they are practicing Catholicism to some reasonable degree, then personally I would baptize the child.

Personally, I would err on the side of baptizing rather than not baptizing.    As long as the parents weren't completely apostate or were getting the child baptized "just cause" I would probably baptize the child and use the opportunity to reach out to the parents and explain to them the gravity of the Sacraments, their responsibilities, etc.  Often new parents have a lot of zeal to do right by their new baby and this may be able to be directed to the good of the parents as well.  Like I stopped smoking when my first child was born (though I restarted later).

But, I am not a priest, obviously, so....

See, sometimes to me the whole issue of baptism for salvation is kind of sticky especially for children below the age of reason.  I am sure I am going to get a bunch of quotes from popes and saints on the subject, but if a child like say 5, heaven forbids, get killed in an accident.  At that age would he not be saved, because if he was not baptized and is too young to recognize the difference between good and evil, then he wouldn't be culpable.  Perhaps, I am only thinking of the too all common cases where the parents gets a child baptized "just because" (as my sister did with her two youngest, but the third remains unbaptized).  Which to me suggests an abuse of a sacrament, and not a good start.  Now in the cases where unmarried parents may raise the child in faith, but he is not baptized.  Then that child would have baptism of desire in that case more than likely, so if something horrible would happen to him, he would be ok.  I am probably chock full of errors in the last paragraph, but just throwing some ideas to keep the engine running

Messages In This Thread
A question on Baptism - by AntoniusMaximus - 08-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Re: A question on Baptism - by cgraye - 08-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Re: A question on Baptism - by Resurrexi - 08-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Re: A question on Baptism - by RalphKramden - 08-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Re: A question on Baptism - by Historian - 08-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Re: A question on Baptism - by Historian - 08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Re: A question on Baptism - by AntoniusMaximus - 08-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Re: A question on Baptism - by spasiisochrani - 08-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Re: A question on Baptism - by AntoniusMaximus - 08-02-2009, 09:16 PM