Bishop criticizes ‘slavishly literal’ English translation of missal
“The vast majority of God’s people in the assembly are not familiar with words of the new missal like ‘ineffable,’ ‘consubstantial,’ ‘incarnate,’ ‘inviolate,’ ‘oblation,’ ‘ignominy,’ ‘precursor,’ ‘suffused’ and ‘unvanquished.’ The vocabulary is not readily understandable by the average Catholic,” Bishop Trautman said.

well then, bishop, priests will need to work those words into their sermons for the benefit of 'the average Catholic,' though i agree with others that we're not as dumb as he thinks.  people don't need vocab lessons, just context to figure out unfamiliar words for themselves.

for example, a priest might preach about satan and say that today satan is unvanquished, unconquered, unbeaten, but there will come a day when he will be vanquished, conquered, beaten.  one word down, eight to go.

priests can also talk directly about changes in the missal, such as what consubstantial means and why it's in the new missal, why we're changing from 'we believe' to 'I believe,' etc.  i really doubt many in the pews will feel less sense of community when saying 'i' instead of 'we' while surrounded by a community of other people in the pews.  church bulletins could also have a weekly feature explaining one or two of the changes in the missal.

it's called religious education, bp. trautperson, perhaps you've heard of it.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Bishop criticizes ‘slavishly literal’ English translation of missal - by Historian - 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM