Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian
I'll be honest and say that I like action films and sci-fi fantasy. :)  I think I like them best when it's the triumph of humanity over evil of one variety or another.  Now, that's not to say that the bullet count isn't part of the thrill.  Do I think horror films or perhaps scary films are sinful?  I think it's a gray area.  If you watch them out of a fascination with all things macabre and do so to the exclusion of more wholesome activities, perhaps.  If the movies seem to glorify or make evil attractive, then perhaps.  If they illicit weird fantasies and lead you to dwell on disgusting and depraved acts, perhaps.  If you watch them because the highs and lows that humanity is capable of fascinate you and help you understand and do your work a little better, well, that might be a different thing.  I find the images stay with me and frighten me too much.  I accidentally clicked on a trailer of "The Visitors" and was upset by what I saw.  Perhaps, visual imagery of this kind is bad for me.  I think it's a little like what constitutes a near occasion of sin for one man is different than for another.  What arouses one man's lust might not even phase another.  It really depends on the person.  Does that make sense?

Then again, I think we can both agree that we wouldn't show the movies to a child . . .  Why is that?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - by Fontevrault - 11-04-2009, 06:56 PM