Thanksgiving Food Drives: Feed the Multitudes (Unless It's Illegal)
(11-05-2009, 09:06 AM)Catholichome Wrote: Picnics in the park are an excellent idea. It reminds me of the tradition of St. Joseph's table and St. Anthony's bread.
There is no reason why anyone who wants to do so can't just load up their car or van or little red wagon and give away food if they wish.

Yes, there are rules and as I initially said, there is a reason for those rule. But how does it make sense that you cannot divide up a 50 or 100 lb sack of rice or pasta for distribution?

From what I understand, it's a combination of hygiene, a fear of tampering if you break it down, and staffing and cost if they break it down.  Most pantries work with part time and/or volunteer staff and so they have to get what they have broken down into the boxes for distribution in advance, and they don't have much time.  That way when people come they can just hand them a full box, and then serve the next person.  I don't know if it's like this where you live, but i've seen lines around the block for a pantry that's open only two hours. 

Edited to add:  Some places do take food that's near the sell-by date; mine does.  It's gone in one day anyhow.  Call some nonprofits in your area if that ever happens again - they might even come and pick it up.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thanksgiving Food Drives: Feed the Multitudes (Unless It's Illegal) - by Historian - 11-05-2009, 09:24 AM