Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today.
(11-11-2009, 02:49 PM)SearchingCatholic Wrote: One NO priest I know speaks of purgatory every All Souls day.  I went to a TLM by the same priest this year and there wasn't even a homily!  I was so disappointed!

As for Catholic funerals, I believe the NO is definitely lacking.  When my father-in-law died, there never was a mention of praying for his soul, nor at my husband's grandmother's funeral.  Everyone told my kids that they were in heaven!!  I am trying to undo that damage, but am having trouble knowing how to teach my kids about purgatory.  I am told that it is unkind and will scare them, that I need to reassure them and there will be plenty of time to teach purgatory later! >:( 

Where can I find some good materials for teaching my kids about purgatory?  BTW, I have also told my kids that while I try my best, I KNOW I will need purification in the next life and if they don't pray for me I will ask God for permission to come back and haunt them.. ;D

I also just discovered the Dies Irie (or however you spell it -I don't know my Latin!). [b][Dies Iræ]   Why did they ever get rid of this!?  It is right and true and beautiful and powerful!  If everyone had to hear that on a semi-regular basis, perhaps people would have a sense of sin again![/b]

Annibale Bugnini, father of the Novus Ordo, had this to say: "They got rid of texts that smacked of a negative spirituality inherited from the Middle Ages. Thus they removed such familiar and even beloved texts as the Libera me, Domine, the Dies Iræ, and others that overemphasized judgment, fear, and despair. These they replaced with texts urging Christian hope and arguably giving more effective expression to faith in the resurrection."
What can we expect when the whole intention behind the NO was to remove Catholic doctrine??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_Irae

Messages In This Thread
Re: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - by AlanF - 11-12-2009, 12:56 PM