Is It Sinful to Take a Minimalist View of Faith?
(12-13-2009, 07:51 PM)nsper7 Wrote:
Quote:Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For he that will save his life, shall lose it: and he that shall lose his life for my sake, shall find it. Matthew, XVI xxiv,xxv.

And how does the Church interpret this? Don't play Protestant on me and start with the self-interpretation of Scripture? What is Church doctrine on this matter?

Don't play Protestant on you? You should really curb hostility toward people you don't know and who are responding to the questions you posed to them. This passage is repeatedly interpreted by Holy Mother Church by numerous of her Saints and Fathers. Notable among them is St John of the Cross in his Ascent of Mount Carmel. It means just what it says. Abandon your life; give it up to Christ if you desire to save it for eternity. Or try to keep it your own, and see what good comes of it.

The fact that you are even asking this question and posing it to the public is a sign that you have some inner uncertainty and uneasiness. It is a great gift of grace given you by God. You would do well, rather than to fight this inclination, to listen with openness to what is being shared here. Our Lord is offering you the opportunity to grow in much love and sanctity, and because He loves you immensely. Go to the Blessed Virgin and you will find Christ's love more fully. Please be assured of my prayers.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Is It Sinful to Take a Minimalist View of Faith? - by actiofidei - 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM