Fr. Z sees red and does black deeds against Bishop Williamson
(12-16-2009, 11:08 AM)Gerard Wrote: That's in the effort to create the perception of a rift in the SSPX.

There's no need to create a "perception" about it.

Quote:Prior to the lifting of the invalid excommunications, Bishop Fellay was treated somewhat fairly but Williamson always had the preface "Excommunicated Bishop Richard Williamson."

So?  That is perfectly true and relevant.

Quote:His opinion is they might be good for the Church but they're not right about the Church.

That's true, but that's not the point.  You can be wrong about something and still have many good qualities and something important to contribute.  You call tell that Fr. Z admires the zeal and the directness of the SSPX priests and believes that that is what the Church needs.  And it's not even that he thinks they are wrong about the Church so much as that they are wrong about how they are handling it.

Quote:He doesn't believe in the crisis in the Church.

He believes there are serious problems in the Church.  Probably not exactly the way the SSPX does, though, that is true.

Quote:He also tried to ludicrously pass off the idea that JPII "laid the groundwork" for Pope Benedicts'  "Marshall Plan"   C'mon.  Pope Benedict still hasn't publicly acknowledged the true cause of the crisis and Fr.  Z tries to provide cover for the negligent Popes.

He does have a soft spot for John Paul II, who was apparently an important figure in his earlier life and and who ordained him, but what he says isn't totally off the mark.  But John Paul II could have easily forbidden the traditional Mass completely, never allowed the SSPX to be formed in the first place, and done dozens of other things to hinder the traditionalist cause.  He did not.  I think Fr. Z gives JPII about as much unfair slack as trads give him unfair lack of it.

Quote:And Fr. Z is willing to bend the truth, hide the facts and distort the words in order to stop bishop W. from "doing more harm" to Vatican II. 

I don't think you can point me to any specific examples of deliberate falsification.  You can argue with his interpretations of things, but that's really it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Fr. Z apologist, and there are plenty of things he says and does that I don't agree with, but I do object to painting him as hostile to the SSPX in general, because that is clearly untrue.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Fr. Z sees red and does black deeds against Bishop Williamson - by cgraye - 12-16-2009, 12:28 PM