Saints: Who do you like and how do you relate?
See my sig  :)

My patron, St. Sebastian is basically a member of the family. He's the patron and often the namesake of most people in my family going way back to the old country (for example, my grandfather's name was Sebastian and his parents were Sebastiano and Sebastiana). The town in Sicily where they were from had a great devotion to him, and many from that town moved to one particular town in the US where to this day there is a large St. Sebastian festa and procession down mainstreet with the statue carried by the nuri and people pinning money to it, the relics, bishops, and all the trappings. It's pretty amazing. He also fit well with me as I was a varsity athlete through college.

Bl. Pius IX had an impact on me when I was coming to know the faith better. His rather brash approach to the fact that the truth is what it is regardless of whether anyone believes it or not caused some rays of light to penetrate the fog and gave me a bit of an "ah-ha!" moment. Since then, he's always been important to me, almost in a grandfatherly way. I seem to always receive some special blessings on his feast day  :)

I try and be a spiritual son to St. Catherine of Sienna. Reading the Dialogue (the long unabridged version) was very pivotal and life changing for me. It came after I had received the truth pretty thoroughly but it showed me how to truly burn with charity, hope, and humility, especially in a world that often seems mired in so many problems. I think I could have very easily fallen into a state of bitterness, self-righteousness, and contempt and even maybe cut myself off from the Church were it not for her and her great love and the fruits God brought forth through her.

St. Robert Bellarmine had a similar effect. Most admire him for his theological works and defense of the faith (and rightly so), but I found myself most impressed with his humility and charity throughout his entire life. One of my favorite quotes, that I always need to remember, comes from his work The Mind's Ascent to God by a Ladder of Created Things: "Let prayer delight thee more than disputations, and the charity which buildeth up, more than the knowledge which puffeth up." Coming from a man known for his disputations and knowledge, that means a lot.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Saints: Who do you like and how do you relate? - by SaintSebastian - 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM