Melancholic Falling
(01-05-2010, 03:49 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: I also recommend a book called Light and Peace...I think it's by St. Francis de Sales.

Thank you, I will check it out.

(01-05-2010, 08:53 AM)quoprimumV Wrote: If you say a good act of contrition then you are forgiven and still have to go to the sacrament of confession before your next communion. 
I strongly suggest two books and TAN has both - One is Light and Peace and it has many quotes from Saint Francis de Sales in it.  Has some beautiful, conforting thoughts.  The other book is Growth in Holiness by Father Frederick Faber.  WOW is all I can say - there is even a chapter about discouragement and "what keeps us back."  I strongly suggest both. 

If you exhaust those two - go to Self Abandonment to Divine Providence by Caussade (also TAN) .  He was a spriritual director/confessor for many souls, especially nuns, and some of the letters in the second half of the book will feel like they are being written to you personnaly.

Best wishes and perservere!

Thanks, I have been meaning to read some of those.

(01-05-2010, 11:42 AM)glgas Wrote: I would exercise the Christian humility and go to confession to an available priests.

I have done this in the past but the only priest I could go to doesn't think the sin I need to confess is even a sin so I am out of luck with that I'm afraid.

(01-05-2010, 12:31 PM)salome Wrote: Brevis and Melkite,

I encourage you to read the link I posted.  It is beautifully written by Archbishop Sergius of Prague (1881-1952).  Beyond that I will say to you both that you need to take the advice of the Desert Fathers and monitor your thoughts!  You both have got to get a handle on your thoughts.  I guarantee you it is your thoughts that are making you miserable. Fulton Sheen often gave this advice, to paraphrase:  If you are depressed/miserable, then go out and help someone else. 

It may sound harsh of me but both of you need to stop thinking about YOU so much.  Begin your day with gratitude.  It is impossible to be depressed and grateful at the same time.  You cannot hold those 2 contradictory thoughts in your head simultaneously.   You both are so young.  Don't spend another day dragging your soul around.  I say all of this having "been there."  If you continue on this path you will drive yourself crazy.  I did.  There is nothing "holy" about being crazy.  It's just crazy. 

Begin by saying the Jesus Prayer every morning or when these thoughts come into your head:  "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner."  Mercy in the sense of the Greek meaning...eleison which has the same root as oil (eleos) more specifically olive oil which was used as a soothing agent for wounds in ancient times.  Therefore when you pray this prayer you are in essence saying "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, pour healing oil on my soul." 

I will keep both of you in my prayers and I mean that sincerely having been where you are.   :pray2:

Thank you for the link, good reading that. I agree with gratitude and depression thing. I have been thinking about that actually. I say the Jesus Prayer often during the day- it does help.
Thank you for your prayers!  :)

pax

Messages In This Thread
Melancholic Falling - by BrevisVir55 - 01-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Re: Melancholic Falling - by WanderingPenitent - 01-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Re: Melancholic Falling - by Iolanthe - 01-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Re: Melancholic Falling - by salome - 01-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Re: Melancholic Falling - by BrevisVir55 - 01-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Re: Melancholic Falling - by Baskerville - 01-05-2010, 02:00 AM
Re: Melancholic Falling - by Marc - 01-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Re: Melancholic Falling - by Iolanthe - 01-05-2010, 03:49 AM
Re: Melancholic Falling - by quoprimumV - 01-05-2010, 08:53 AM