Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???]
(02-19-2010, 03:46 PM)SaintRafael Wrote:
(02-19-2010, 03:35 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: I don't think preaching to heretics violates that standard. If he kisses a Koran or takes Lutheran Communion, I'll flip out. 

When was the last time a Pope preached to heretics outside the Church? I can't think of anything since the 50's.

So now's a good time to start, right?

Quote:Pope Benedict is not going to preach anything about conversion to the one true Church. He doesn't even believe they are heretics because Lutherans have "partial communion".

You and I both know "partial communion" is like being "kinda pregnant" - it means nothing at the end of the day.  But that doesn't imply he doesn't believe the Lutheran faith is heretical.

Quote:It is a scandal against the First Commandment to go into a false church, because he is not going there to preach conversion. No Pope before VII, in the history of the Church, has ever gone into a Lutheran worship building to stand side by side and give a co-speech.

How do you know what he is going to preach?  I agree with you, based on the last 40 years it doesn't look good, but based on the last 40 years there should have been no motu, a pedo priest wouldn't have been laicized, the bishops in Ireland would still be shifting around predators, and the SSPX wouldn't be talking in Rome.

I'm cautiously optimistic which might seem naive, and fair enough.  But condemning everything before he opens his mouth seems like the other extreme to me.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - by Historian - 02-19-2010, 05:15 PM