A Statement from Machiavelli: Agree or Disagree?
(03-10-2010, 10:26 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(03-09-2010, 08:12 AM)fcgv Wrote: In the Prince, Machiavelli states that "a prudent man should always follow in the path trodden by great men and imitate those who are most excellent, so that if he does not attain to their greatness, at any rate he will get some tinge of it,"

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

It depends on how you define greatness.  As Machiavelli defines it, I generally don't agree, though I do believe that some of the men he considers great do have some virtues worthy of emulation.  If one defines greatness in a Catholic manner, then I absolutely agree.

If you guys are interested in Machiavelli getting a comeuppance, you should check out Peter Kreeft's Socrates Meets Machiavelli, which is part of a series of works in which Socrates has dialogues with modern philosophers and generally rips them up...  :)

I'd love to see it. Machiavelli is appalling, but I hope Kreeft (who is very cool) doesn't quote C.S. Lewis every other line -- his weakness.

Messages In This Thread
Re: A Statement from Machiavelli: Agree or Disagree? - by Satori - 03-10-2010, 02:23 PM