Never received a confirmation name.
(04-28-2010, 04:41 PM)Walty Wrote:
Quote:
(04-28-2010, 11:04 AM)Walty Wrote: I was confirmed in a felt banner NO parish of nothingness and never even thought about that sort of thing. 
What is even more important to have missed out on is a valid Confirmation.   One should really look at their own Confirmation, and examine the matter, form, and intention (if possible).  In the Novus Ordo, it is not unthinkable that one's Confirmation could be invalid, which is "missing out" on a whole lot more than just a name.   And the way to get the name would be to get a conditional Confirmation such as the SSPX does.  In these days we need all the grace of the Sacraments we can get, so I for one don't want to have to wonder if my Confirmation was valid. 

I've wondered about that more than once before.  The problem is, even if I believed it to be invalid I really can't say anything for sure.  So what do you do then?
If I had to guess, I'd say it was valid but I'll have to reread up on the matter and form of the sacrament.  Not telling those preparing for Confirmation to take a name was the least of this parishes problems.

The worst part is that my parents didn't give me a Christian first name either.

Hi Walty, I was pretty much in the same boat.  Actually, I didn't have too much to go on other than the year.  If you know what year you were confirmed, that might make a difference.  Like, if it was before they changed the Rite, you would most likely consider it valid; the later you were Confirmed, and if you were in a particularly "progressive" diocese (which from your description sounds like it's likely the case), I would be conditionally Confirmed just in case.  That's kind of what I was advised.  You shouldn't have to wonder.  And that is why the SSPX does it conditionally, like conditional Baptism.  Since it can't be administered twice, they do it conditionally, in case the previous one was invalid. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: Never received a confirmation name. - by FHM310 - 04-28-2010, 06:50 PM