The Mass a study of the Roman Liturgy
(05-05-2010, 05:41 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(05-05-2010, 12:14 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I haven't read the entire thing, but it's extremely useful for anyone who wants to have a more advanced understanding of the liturgy.

Fortescue doesn't like fiddleback chasubles, though, so if that's your thing, I suppose he can't be an authority for everything.

He doesn't 'like' them? What part of them are you supposed to particularly 'like'? They are worn for the sake of tradition, not aesthetics.

I believe its referring to a debate that continues to rage among traditionalists to this day, namely, a preference for vestments of the medieval period (conical chasubles, appareled amices and albs, etc.)  VS. those who prefer what was more common in the baroque/counter-reformation era (fiddlebacks, lace, etc.). The subject matter thickens as, in addition, the debate usually extends into the schools of sacred architecture and sacred music of the two periods as well.

I personally have penchants for several aspects of both schools of thought, but I tend to lean more towards the Baroque.  ;)

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Mass a study of the Roman Liturgy - by Joshua - 05-05-2010, 06:00 PM