Refusing treatment from healthcare professionals of the opposite gender
Should we Catholics be refusing to receive certain kinds of care from healthcare professionals who are not the same gender?  The most obvious concern I have is of Women's Complaints.  I have no idea what goes on in an examination by a Women's Complaints doctor (and I'm not sure I want to know), but something tells me that something is wrong about a woman allowing a male gynecologist to treat or examine her for routine things even if there is no temptation to do anything scandalous.  My mother's last gynecologist was a man who practiced for more than thirty years and she didn't seem uncomfortable about it.

My question also applies to men seeking treatment for certain things.  I don't mean something like having a female hygienist when visiting the dentist for a regular checkup, but if there are problems in or with certain areas should female nurses or doctors be asked to leave the treatment room?

Obviously in a critical situation a physician or professional of the opposite gender may be necessary as a last resort, but I'm asking about regular or urgent visits to a physician.

Messages In This Thread
Refusing treatment from healthcare professionals of the opposite gender - by dark lancer - 08-16-2010, 09:34 PM