Wizards and a defense of Gandalf
(10-03-2010, 02:44 AM)piabee Wrote:
(10-02-2010, 11:44 AM)INPEFESS Wrote: I didn't think this thread had anything to do with Harry Potter.

Why are we discussing it here?

Why did we start discussing LOTR in the Harry Potter thread?

Because people who started the thread brought it up (it was the red herring).

The thread starter on that thread responded to people critical of Harry Potter (note, those critics ONLY discussed Harry Potter when posting against it), then that person "defended" Harry Potter with Lord of the Rings, then people (including myself, I had no posted prior to this as I have no interest and very little knowledge of Harry Potter) responded to that. The same person who started the thread brought up Lord of the Rings. http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg33320309

This is the difference. The people against Harry Potter can post about it with only mentioning Harry Potter and ethics. People for Harry Potter can do so only by posting about Harry Potter as little as possible and focusing on another work in an attempt to make them equal (without proving it) in the minds of those in the discussion and then trying to show that those people approve of Lord of the Rings. In this pattern, I posted a little on the equality issue (some of the elements I felt were not equal in presentation in either series) and then I pulled back to address the moral questions in general terms, without focusing on specifics of any work.

In this thread, I posted a support of Gandalf against attacks made based solely on the name "wizard" and his appearance. Calling a person a wizard is not necessarily evil, although by default it would be, and that a person depicted as Gandalf is is not necessarily evil. I did this by analysing the word "wizard", some history of it and the cases where it is used to mean an evil person. Then I focused on the imagery of Gandalf and showed that not to be unique to wizards. I never said Gandalf was entirely wholesome or anything about the entire series.

While all this is inspired by a thread about what people's favourite Harry Potter stories are, I never intended to take part in the main discussions and the reason why I made two threads is because these are about different topics. Like the dolphin reference above, if I were to make a thread on the monarchs of Catholic France and then another on binomial nomenclature, they would be inspired by the thread on the ethics of hunting dolphins, but they would not be direct responses. Just because they are about related concepts in some way does not make them a direct continuation. I am not interested in Harry Potter, but I am interested in facts, the facts being that the concept of "wizard" in Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are not the same. Whether either is good or not is another question. I am not really interested in judging any particular work, but I am interested in defending the linguistic uses of some words and the concepts of a particular appearance (mainly, because I aspire to look like that one day...I often say in real life that I can't wait for my hair to turn grey or silver because then I'll look like a "wizard"...I'd also look like most depictions of Moses, St. Benedict, God the Father.).

Messages In This Thread
Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Historian - 09-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by timoose - 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by cgraye - 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by piabee - 10-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by timoose - 10-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by Walty - 10-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Re: Wizards and a defense of Gandalf - by piabee - 10-03-2010, 02:44 AM