Books/authors you feel obligated to like, but don't?
(11-08-2010, 07:10 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-08-2010, 06:53 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: I'm reaching the conclusion that I don't like St. Paul.  Not that I don't like his teaching.  Just I don't like his style.  And I think that if I knew him in real life, I'd think he was ridiculous-- and not in the the "be ridiculous for Christ (which is admirable)" way, but in the "really Paul? Do you have to be such a tool?" kind of way.

What makes St Paul the Apostle to the gentiles a tool and what is wrong with his style? Just curious.

He reminds me of a roommate I had in college.  So melodramatic, over the top, and occasionally unreasonable.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the theology.  Just his attitude.

It's hard for me to be more specific.  Do you ever get a voice in your head from an author that you can't shake?  I have that with Paul.  He just sounds like an annoying, bothersome guy who is hard to take seriously.  Like the kind of guy that smokes cigars-- an impulsive blowhard who thinks he's more sophisticated than he really is.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Books/authors you feel obligated to like, but don't? - by WhollyRoaminCatholic - 11-08-2010, 07:18 PM