ArchBishop Dolan interview
(11-26-2010, 02:33 PM)JayneK Wrote: I did not take the Archbishop's comment the way that most of you (and Michael Voris) are taking it.  I thought that the Archbishop was saying that Thanksgiving is a time when people with an unclear sense of God become more open to Him.  It sounded to me like the "him ..her...whatever" bit was the Archbishop was expressing  how these non-Catholic people think.  It was not supposed to reflect his own view or Catholic teaching.

After thinking about that for a few moments, I would have to say, if that was the case, it was a bit irresponsible of the archbishop to make a statement with error at its root without pointing out that error.  To not do so seems to implicitly validate the error, or at the least leave open the possibility.

This is yet another point of contention today.  One of my pet peeves - one of the things that can threaten to disturb my peace at a Novus Ordo Mass - is to hear someone change the words of prayer from "Him" to "God" to avoid the masculine pronoun.  It is important for Dolan as a shepherd, and such a prominent one, to be clear on such a rather important matter of theology.  It is indeed an important point.  Christian theology falls apart rapidly if we think of God relating to us in the feminine.  It is not an esoteric or advanced matter, but a basic one.

Now, I realize I now sound like those criticizing the pope over his remarks concerning the possible positive intent of condom use.  However, there are important differences: the pope's remarks were definitely taken out of context and definitely saw conclusions drawn from them that he was not implying.  In this case, the context was simple and clear - not a matter of hypothetical morality.

Furthermore, unlike in the pope case, Dolan clearly *did* speak error: at best, he repeated the error of others.  Again, to do so without pointing that out is at the very least an imprudent action.

I believe reasonable people can watch the archbishop's statement and conclude at the very least that he believes referring to God in the feminine sense is innocuous or acceptable.  But it is neither. 

Messages In This Thread
ArchBishop Dolan interview - by love alabama - 11-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Re: ArchBishop Dolan interview - by Restituo - 11-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Re: ArchBishop Dolan interview - by geogeer - 11-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Re: ArchBishop Dolan interview - by JayneK - 11-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Re: ArchBishop Dolan interview - by The Catholic Thinker - 11-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Re: ArchBishop Dolan interview - by Adam Wayne - 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Re: ArchBishop Dolan interview - by JayneK - 11-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Re: ArchBishop Dolan interview - by LatinGuy - 11-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Re: ArchBishop Dolan interview - by Adam Wayne - 11-26-2010, 02:58 PM