Why claim that smoking is not a sin?
(02-15-2011, 07:38 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: Revixit & Nic, I think you guys are turning this into a witchhunt for no good reason. There are people on the forum that are ten times more uncharitable and bossy than Jayne ever is but you seem to single her out with ad hominems, accusing her of being judgmental and being a heretic, just because you seem to disagree with her. If she was your sister in law it'd be one thing, but this is the internet after all, it's a bit crazy for you guys to so confidently proclaim that you know the intents of people's hearts based on things they've written

Jayne is the one trying to organize a witchhunt against smokers, claiming that she just knows smoking is a sin.  The Catholic Church does not teach that smoking is a sin but Jayne apparently thinks she knows better than the Church on this issue.  The burden of proof is on her and she hasn't met it.  

In the course of the thread, Jayne made a rude, self-righteous, and uncharitable comment to CC.  I pointed that out since no one else had.  

If I had been committing the logical fallacy of argumentum ad hominem, I'd have tried to claim that Jayne's rude, self-righteous, and uncharitable comment proves that she is wrong about smoking being sinful.  But it proves no such thing so I did not say it did, did not commit that fallacy.

It is irrelevant that others here may be bossier or less charitable than Jayne.  Jayne made an uncharitable, self-righteous, rude comment and I told her so.  She's now trying to weasel out of having made an uncharitable, self-righteous, rude comment  by saying:

"CC was making the logical fallacy of false dichotomy - stating a situation as if there are only two choices when there are many more.  I was not sure that she is familiar with that terminology so I tried to make the point another way.  The phrase "you tell me what is more sinful" communicates to me that she was asking for my opinion, so I gave it to her."

Notice how Jayne states that CC was committing a logical fallacy, as if we were in a formal debate competition here, which we are not.  We are just discussing issues in a discussion forum.  Then she says she "was not sure that CC would be familiar with that terminology", which implies that CC is not as educated or intelligent as Jayne.  More self-righteousness and uncharitableness and PRIDE from Jayne.

Jayne then says "The phrase "you tell me what is more sinful" communicates to me that she was asking for my opinion, so I gave it to her."  

Apparently, Jayne can't tell when someone is actually asking for her opinion and when they're telling her to buzz off so whatever education and intelligence she has, she is lacking in common sense.

Bakuryosoko, your comments indicate that you need a better understanding of what argumentum ad hominem is, as do most people.  It is not a critical or sarcastic remark, an attack, an insult, or even name calling, and I don't think Nic or I have engaged in it in this thread, though I haven't looked that carefully at his posts because we're not having a formal debate here, nor am I grading students' essays arguing a point of view, so I don't look for logical fallacies.  

Read all of this page to learn ad hominem means and what it doesn't mean:

http://plover.net/~bonds/adhominem.html

It's pretty funny because it gives many examples, each more outrageous than the last, to clearly teach what is ad hominem and what isn't.  Warning: profanity.

Messages In This Thread
Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by JayneK - 02-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by SCG - 02-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by Nic - 02-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by SCG - 02-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by SCG - 02-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by SCG - 02-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by Nic - 02-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by Nic - 02-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by Nic - 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by Nic - 02-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Re: Why claim that smoking is not a sin? - by Revixit - 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM